Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP <>Ubuntu 10.10 Disc share

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BearBorg

BearBorg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hey everyone .... I'm not a TOTAL Linux noob, but am having some difficulties in mounting, sharing a complete hard drive from XP.

Here is my computer set up.

1. A desktop running win XP (sp3) AND dual boots to linux as well. This desktop has a library disk that I can see and use from ubuntu as well.

2. A Laptop running Ubuntu 10.10 This laptop is both wired and wirelessly connected to the network.

I would like to be able to access the Library disk FROM the laptop. I've only just started looking into this and am a complete novice when it comes to networking under linux, (although I did manage to set up printing from the laptop to the printer that is attached to the desktop.) I really don't have ANY clue as to how I should proceed or even the right questions to ask about this.

If anyone could provide a good guide as to how I can get this accomplished or even a general 'direction' to head towards I would greatly appericiate it.

Thanks,

Bear

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

The Linux implementation of the Windows File and Printer Sharing protocol (called Samba) should already be installed in Ubuntu. In your file manager (by default Nautilus in Ubuntu) enter this into the address bar: smb:/// (note that there are 3 '/'). This should show you all of the detected Windows hosts on the network. Double click on the destop (library computer) icon to see what directories are being shared (you may need to enter the username and password for XP.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users