Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

logon boot error- can't install XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Logon error-cannot reload XP
I am working on an XP home system that had some infections. I deleted and cleaned the system using AVG and Malwarebytes, but the system still interjects error messages that logon files were infected. I must have deleted some of the sys32 logon files now and cannot boot at all. when I try to boot in safe or last known good config, I get BSOD and errors are c000021a fatal system error. This is referring to the windows logon process system. also when I try to re-install and repair Xp with my disc, I get the BSOD stop error 0x0000007b,oxf8990524,oxc0000034.
Can anyone tell me how to get this booting again? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

What is the make and model number of the computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

It is a Dell optiplex 330

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

That computer should have a recovery partition that will allow you to reinstall Windows. During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen. Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>. Click Restore and click Confirm.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I am not getting that blue bar. When I boot with the XP disc, it starts loading drivers and then BSOD....the bios is A03, but I don't know how to update it or if that would help.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

Try tapping CTRL+F11 during the boot process to see if that works.

Is the XP CD you are using the one that came with the computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

Budapest, thanks for the reply...no, the disk is a OE Dell re-install disk that cam with my cousins Dell.
also, the ctrl + f11 made no difference

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

Try hitting F2 instead. You have to hit it at the moment the Dell logo appears during boot.

The reason you are getting the blue screen is because the drivers on that CD are not compatible with the computer's hardware.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

F2 just goes into bios setup..since I have nuked the HD, it looks like the cd should install fresh...what do you suggest?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

You need to get the Dell CD's specific to that machine. If you don't have them you can request a copy from Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users