Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows cannot connect to the wireless network connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

I'm posting this for a family member who can't access the internet to post. I have not seen the computer so I can only give what details I can, but I can always text message the person for more details.

When right clicking on the wireless computer symbol in the corner near the clock they try to access their wireless connection (which works on 2 other laptops that are sometimes in their home) but they get the error "windows cannot connect to the wireless network connection". I had her check out the device manager and there didn't appear to be any problems in there. I had her check "Network connections" and she didn't see anything in there. There were two "wireless networks" listed in there. One said it was "Broadcom netXtreme gigabit Ethernet" and the other was called "LevelOne WPC-0301 11g wireless CardBus adapter" She tried doing the "repair" but it did not work.

I had her try the following: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702, when we got to the #4 "If the Windows Zero Configuration service is running, the words "STATE : # RUNNING" will appear." she noticed that instead of it saying RUNNING it said STOPPED. I had her try to follow the "Basic troubleshooting" listed on that site, but we got stuck when we got to #5 "If you can view the properties for the Wireless Network Connection icon, but you do not see a Wireless Networks tab, see the Drivers that do not support the Wireless Zero Configuration service section to continue troubleshooting." We attempted the Wireless Zero Configuration because she did not see a Wireless Networks tab. We got stuck on step #5 "Click the Advanced tab, and then configure your wireless network by using the available configuration options. The available options and option names may vary depending on the driver manufacturer. The following list describes the basic configuration options under Property:", because I have NO idea what it all means lol

Those are the only steps we have taken so far to fix this. If anyone can help that would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

Did this computer ever work on the wireless connection? or is this a problem with a new network connection?

Am assuming from the selected forum that we are dealing with windows XP. Is that correct?

From looking into the network cards that you listed it appears that the Level One card is the wireless and I'm thinking the Broadcom card is probably the wired network card on the machine. Is this computer a laptop?

I read through the manual for the level one wireless card located at http://global.level1.com/downloads.php?modelstr1=WPC&modelstr2=0301&sendtype=0
and it appears that this card has its own management software. In windows XP, if a network card has its own control software it can disable all windows control over connecting to wireless networks. Your friend should look through the installed programs for a management utility that may work to connect right away. I believe if this doesn't work, that there is a way to assign the control of wireless networks back to windows itself, but I can't remember how.

The link above to level 1's site also has downloads of the drivers for that card. The XP/Vista driver is the second one down in the driver's section.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

Thanks you for that info. I will call her tomorrow and find out more info. The computer is a laptop. I totally forgot you could give and take the control from the adapter. I didn't use XP except for on a PC. My laptop has Win 7 so I couldn't compare. But yes, the one we are talking about is an HP laptop running Win XP

#4 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

Ok, so she did find a LevelOne program listed in her Program Files area, I couldn't make sense out of it over the phone. But then we followed the directions here: http://www.wireless-center.net/Wi-Fi-Hotspots/311.html to re-enable "Wireless Zero Configuration" once that was done, we went back into Network Connections, right clicked on "LevelOne" and the "wireless networks" tab was now there. After that she saw that "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" was unchecked. So she checked it off. She said that after that she could finally see her wireless info to connect to, but it wouldn't connect. I told her to reboot and try to connect again. I'm waiting on her call back to see if it worked or if there are any error messages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users