Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counterspy Substitute

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:38 AM

CounterSpy has the largest spyware database out of all antispyware apps. It also scans pretty deep. Other applications might miss a spyware even if they have it in their database because they do not scan deep enough. Can somebody tell me about a combination of antispyware apps and online spyware scans that compromise CounterSpy's excellence. Do not name anything that is unusable after a trial. I can use spyware doctor because everything works except the cleaning function. I can just manualy delete everything with it. Give me the names of any apps that still allow you to scan and update it after the trial or dont have a trial but u can still scan and update it for free.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:00 AM

That's easy...

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
A Squared Free
SpyBlaster
SpywareGuard

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

The (free) programs most recommended here:
aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
ewido security suite - offers protection against urgently growing threats like Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:
Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

We als have a list of various online scanners here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Oops, looks like Acklan beat me to it. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 23 December 2005 - 11:31 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

That OK tg.

The slant you will get here is no one program can do it all. I left out Ewido because of the 14 day trial.
You should also use a good firewall program to stop malware from "phoning out" if it does get on your system.

I have that covered too...

Firewalls(Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall (Reported not to be offered after 12-31-2005)

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:35 PM

Ewido is still functional after the 14day trial.

This setup contains the free as well as the plus-version of the ewido security suite. After the installation, a free 14-day test version containing all the extensions of the plus-version will be activated. At the end of the test phase, the extensions of the plus version are deactivated and the freeware version can be used unlimited times. The purchased license code of the plus version can be entered at any time.

Extensions that are deactivated:

Realtime monitoring of the entire system
Memory Scan detects active threats
Self-protection at kernel layer guarantees gapless monitoring
Automatic online-update

Ewido - Info on the features
Just hover your mouse over one of the entries on the list, to get more info on that feature.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:59 PM

In some respect it has a similar level of access that AdAware has. If you want the full verison you pay for it, but you get a manual verison for free?

Edited by acklan, 23 December 2005 - 01:01 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:14 PM

That's about the size of it, you pay for the automation.
Personaly, I don't care for the auto features.
I update all of my programs twice a day, so I don't need the auto update, and the Background Guard, which loads on startup, slows my system down too much.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:09 PM

I guess with a little clever scripting you could get it to run in Windows shudule tasks feature, yes? Then this and AdAware could be automatied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users