Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slow/Acting Strange

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jemmeh

Jemmeh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

I may have more than one problem/malware I am unsure.

System Information:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

About a month ago I contracted a fake virus thing called Antivirus.Net. I used rkill & MBAM and it seemed to go away.

Unfortunately since then my computer has acting strange:

Symptoms:
++Much slower
++ Making a lot of noise (As though I'm doing something like playing a large game/movie/moving large files).
++ I've noticed is anywhere from 3-25 processes of "mshta.exe" in the Windows Task Manager
++ Clicking once results in the computer registering up to 3 clicks.
++ While using either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, the pages will sometimes redirect to a random link on that page (For example if I'm on the "About" page of a website it will randomly jump to the "contact us" link, though I never clicked it and there is no "click" noise)
++ Google Chrome & Firefox: Randomly goes "Back" or "Forward" several pages.
++ EDIT: Another symptom. MSN Messanger does not work anymore. I get login errors. According to the microsoft website, it is a registry issue. I followed their steps to fix the registry, but no dice.

I have tried:
+ Stopping the mshta.exe process and ending the mshta.exe process tree. It just comes back.
+ CCleaner to clean temp files, remove anything from startup menu, ran Disk Defrag and Disk Cleanup.
+ rkill (though nothing is stopping me, figured I ought to) & then Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware & Reboot. (Full Scan) ( says nothing infected)
+ rkill, SuperAntiSpyware(Full scan), reboot (says no infected files)
+ rkill, AVG (full scan), reboot
+ >> Regarding the MSN Messanger issue: I followed the tech help on microsoft's website to fix the registry, removed it completely, reboot, reinstalled. Still not working.

Please advise~! I'm stuck with a slow computer! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jemmeh, 14 March 2011 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jemmeh

Jemmeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

Can anyone help? S:

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users