Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What size should I give to my pagefile?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PODxt

PODxt

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

Hi,

Ever since I changed my RAM modules, Windows always allocated more space to the pagefile. When I had 4GB of RAM, the advised size of the pagefile by Windows was 6GB. I now have 8GB of RAM and Windows recommended size for the PF is 12GB. So I set a fixed size of 12GB for the PF and didn't let Windows manage the file by itself. I'm about to get 4x 4GB of RAM for a total of 16GB. And I think it would be really exaggerated to allocate 16GBx1.5=24GB for the pagefile, especially because my system is on a 60GB SSD.

I want to keep a pagefile so please don't advise me to disable it. This is my workstation and believe me I will use all of the 16GB of RAM.
My question is: what is the size I should give to the pagefile to avoid any problem (like app crashes)?
Is there a way to see in Windows how much MB or GB is currently used by the pagefile? --> That would be a good way to assess my needs.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Are you low on hard disk space? If not, leave it as system managed.

#3 PODxt

PODxt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

Yes, I'm low on space as I'm on a 60GB SSD and OCZ advise not to fill the drive more than 80% of its capacity to avoid wearing as much as possible.
But again, is there a way to see in Windows how much MB or GB is currently used by the pagefile? If I can check that, I'll run a test and launch my apps at full load and see how the pagefile behave.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

Task Manager - Performance Tab.

But don't worry about it. Just set the pagefile to 1Gb min/max and you'll be fine (and that's larger than you need). You can also go to system properties - advanced - startup & recovery settings and change "write debugging information" to "none"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users