Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

troubleshooting a PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

My friend came to me with his PC full of viruses.So I thought I should use DBAN and I formatted his hard disk.now when I try to install XP the system does not go through the rebooting process while installation.As a result I have to start all over again.please help.
Thank You

Edited by comet@earth, 14 March 2011 - 11:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

System manufacturer and model?

What media are used for this install effort?

Louis

#3 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

I am using XP.System is assembled
Cpu-Hp
motherboard-foxconn
processor-pentium 4
I am new to troubleshooting so I don't know what do you mean by media.
thank You

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

No problem :).

Media refers to the disks used to install XP.

There are MS CDs...there are recovery/restore CDs. Recovery/restore CDs are provided by a manufacturer (e.g., HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) and are not the same as Microsoft XP install CDs. The methods for using these recovery/restore CDs...is determined by the system manufacturer...they determine what steps must be accomplished in order to reinstal or repair the XP which is installed on the systems they sell.

Since your system is made by HP...either your user/owner's manual or the HP website...should detail the procedures to be followed to install XP. If you don't follow those procedures...chances are you will be frustrated in your efforts.

Louis

#5 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

No problem :).

Since your system is made by HP...either your user/owner's manual or the HP website...should detail the procedures to be followed to install XP. If you don't follow those procedures...chances are you will be frustrated in your efforts.

Louis

I am confused about these lines.Isn't the procedure for installing an OS always the same,I mean change boot order from BIOS->boot from disk and your OS is installed.Also the media is XP cd brought from a local vendor.
Thank You

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

If it is an original, retail XP CD and you are trying to do a clean install then yes, the procedure should be the same for all systems.

#7 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

Yes the CD is original.
Thank You

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users