Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Downloads on Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 imikedesigns

imikedesigns

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hi. Im having a problem with download speeds on my pc. Its not an obvious problem like bandwidth. My laptop and other computers on the same network are working fine. Im having this problem in multiple browsers and my connection to the router is excellent at 130mpbs. I tried safe mode with networking and the download speeds were fine. Im not sure what the problem could be. I have tried everything I know. Can anyone help? Im using WinXP Pro SP2. Thanks for any help.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

You have already uninstalled the network driver...and then reinstalled same?

Louis

#3 imikedesigns

imikedesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the reply Louis. Yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network driver. Still having the same issue.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

I tried safe mode with networking and the download speeds were fine.

This statement leads me to believe it may be your anti-virus or firewall slowing it down.

#5 imikedesigns

imikedesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

Im not using an anti-virus or firewall. Windows firewall is turned off.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Well...no firewall, no AV, and SP2...that seems like an open invitation to malware, IMO.

All you need now is an outdated browser :), what browser and version are you using?

Louis

#7 imikedesigns

imikedesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

Yes your probably right. But, in the past using anti-virus software has not proved to be any help. So over time I have opted to use my cpu and resources on the software that im actually using. I have had maybe 5 infections over the past few years, always with an easy fix with malwarebytes or combofix. I do however have Windows Firewall running most of the time. Im not sure how useful it is but it is usually running. I have disabled it in an attempt to diagnose my connection problem.

Im using Firefox 3.6.15 and IE 8

#8 imikedesigns

imikedesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

Web pages(text) load at acceptable speeds. Its images and streaming video that take forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users