Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are these files safe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darryl 1

darryl 1

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

I found these four in C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository. None of them seem to have a clear description. I tried googling their names, but only came up with very results, and most of them were very mixed (some claiming it was a virus, etc.) Can anyone help me with this?

INDEX.BTR
MAPPING1.MAP
MAPPING2.MAP
MAPPING3.MAP
OBJECTS.DATA

Edited by darryl 1, 13 March 2011 - 08:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Looks normal to me, I have much the same files, except Mapping3. The repository is for data held in the Web Based Enterprise Management form and used by WMI (Windows Management Interface). Do you have any reason to suspect them? Virus scan flag them?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 darryl 1

darryl 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

Well that's good to hear. :)

Nah, just wondering is all. I thought they looked a little fishy, so I figured I'd might as well ask. Hearing they were linked to some trojan wasn't really helping much either.

Edited by darryl 1, 14 March 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:01 AM

Some files have no known reason to exist other than the presence of malware, many other types of "normal" files can have been affected by malware somewhere at some time, so this is likely to have been reported and show up in a search.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users