Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 sp1 is not offered from windows update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

Windows update have not offered me (yet?) to install SP1 update. The only reason I can think of is that I have not installed KB976902, but as it has been dubbed as the "Blackhole" update until recently, you can understand my hesitation to install it. Most experts advised to wait.
Another issue that arises is that after some research I did in the internet, one of the hotfixes installed with SP1 is KB971033. I guess many of you remember this update and that a lot of people (between them myself) were reluctant to install. What does it mean KB971033 hotfix installed?

So I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions as to how to proceed with updating to SP1 (is it worth it? Should I wait until it is offered?) and if anyone has managed to install it without having to install KB976902.

I have windows 7 ultimate x64.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

I have win 7 home premium and installed SP1 w/o an issue. I also have both updates you mentioned, and my system is running fine.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

Quote from KB976902:

This article describes the software update that applies to versions of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 that are mentioned in the "Applies to" section. This software update will be a prerequisite to install service packs. Additionally, this update improves reliability when you install or remove Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 updates and service packs.

SP1 won't be "offered" until you install KB976902. My system (Home Prem 64bit) seems to be running better since SP1, but I also did a reinstall prior to installing SP1 so I can't really say how much (if any) SP1 has improved performance.

I won't even venture a guess as to why you (or anyone else) is reluctant to install 971033.:whistle:

#4 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

I won't even venture a guess as to why you (or anyone else) is reluctant to install 971033.:whistle:

Although my windows are activated you are not far from truth mate. But anyway I don't like things running at the background...

However, I'd like to ask everyone how does it work with 971033 and SP1? Are you given an option to install it or they come inevitably together. Can one uninstall it afterwards?
And what about 976902? Did it cause any problems after installing it?

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

Strangely, 971033 is not listed on Microsoft's xls document about the hotfixes here.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

971033 wasn't included in SP1 but was among the first batch of updates offered after installing the service pack. See my screengrab below, I installed SP1 on 2/22, 971033 installed 2/23 thru WU, it also gives the option to uninstall though I haven't done so (No need to).
[attachment=90494:971033.jpg]

#7 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

971033 wasn't included in SP1 but was among the first batch of updates offered after installing the service pack. See my screengrab below, I installed SP1 on 2/22, 971033 installed 2/23 thru WU, it also gives the option to uninstall though I haven't done so (No need to).
[attachment=90494:971033.jpg]

OK then. My information was probably wrong. That means I don't have to worry about 971033 if I update to SP1. That's great news. I guess also 976902 can't be that bad after all. From what I gather it got its nickname because initially it was released without any knowledgebase and because one cannot uninstall it. I don't see so many people having problems with it. Should be alright.

#8 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

I had been busy for few days, but today I installed kb976902 with no problems and SP1 was offered to me. I installed that as well and everything seems to run smoothly. I can't say I see any difference but it is still too early. I haven't been offered any other updates after the installation of SP1. Am I supposed?
I will be checking it for some days and if anything "extraordinary" occurs I will let you people know. Thanks to all of you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users