Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Freeze, Locks In Standby #2

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

Your video card is not getting enough power, and is artifacting.

I would think that if the card isn't getting enough juice it would downclock. Anyways I would also think that PSU is more than adequate, if it's not gone bad.

Would you do me a favor and have a look in your eventviewer. Control panel -> system and security -> administrative tools.
Open the eventviewer and see if any error occur at the time when your system locks up. Check Windows logs -> system. If there is something of note there, please post the eventid.
I'm trying myself to troubleshoot something similar and so far I'm inclined to think it is a windows 7 problem.
What power settings are you running. Try in control panel to deaktivate the power saving option under advanced on your pci-e socket.

Hope it helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2011 - 07:27 PM.
Split from different topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

I have never heard of a downclocking video card, can you provide me some links to back that up?

Now I have heard of downclocking CPU's to conserve power when not in demand.

An inadequate power supply can cause weird issues such as blue screens and what not.

#3 nightspydk

nightspydk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

I have never heard of a downclocking video card, can you provide me some links to back that up?

Now I have heard of downclocking CPU's to conserve power when not in demand.

An inadequate power supply can cause weird issues such as blue screens and what not.

Well this dude was getting the warning as have I in the past.
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t14154.html
It most probably requires the Nvidia control panel installed and I have seen the message pop up on screen that the card had downclocked. I suppose you do not have to take my word for it, that's up to you.
With artefacting maybe overheating of the GPU?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Artifacting can be caused by a number of things and they are not limited to the following:

1) Over heating

2) Not getting enough power

3) Bad or corrupted video card drivers

4) Dirty Power

5) Bad electrical components on the card

6) dirty contacts.

7) A short

and various other things.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

Seriously, if the video card does not have enough power provided to it, it does what it can only do, crash the system, because it can not handle or process what is being thrown at it.

It requires more power to process the graphics of video games (there is a lot happening on the screen at one time) if the power runs low, the card freezes up, it has no choice, just as a human runs out of breath, what do you do? You collapse. Correct?

Think of a computer in the same way.

In this forum many members have had issues with system crashes.

In a lot of cases they replaced their PSU with one that provided enough Amps to power the computer and its present hardware setup and still have excess to spare and their crash problems stopped happening.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 July 2010 - 12:28 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 nightspydk

nightspydk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:32 AM

Well I'm sure you all mean well, really, but why don't you then provide me with the information that 30A on 1 rail, 550W is insufficient. It shouldn't be to hard and I bet you'll be surprised.
I did say tho that it might have gone bad, but you know as well as I that that PSU should be fine. :thumbsup:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

Ok the these are the PSU specs:

Thermaltake TR RX Cable Management 550W

DC Ouput:
+3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB
Max Output Current: 30A 28A 16A 17A 0.3A 3A

The above PSU has 2 12 volt rails:

Posted Image

Each with 14 and 15 AMPS total.

Well I'm sure you all mean well, really, but why don't you then provide me with the information that 30A on 1 rail, 550W is insufficient. It shouldn't be to hard and I bet you'll be surprised.
I did say tho that it might have gone bad, but you know as well as I that that PSU should be fine. :thumbsup:

You do not add the 12 volt rails together. Take into consideration the rest of their system, and those 12 volt rails diminish in what they can provide.

eVGA 9600 GT and look at the recommended power supply requirements. 26 total amps.

Edited by cryptodan, 14 July 2010 - 12:54 AM.

#8 nightspydk

nightspydk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

The reason I interfered with your thread, was that I had a similar problem on a nvidia setup with both a GTX470 and 8800GTS with Windows ultimate 7 x64, where games froze and the display driver crashed (errorid 4101). I have given up trying to figure it out, but had to revert to a 32-bit system currently Windows 7 enterprise x86, where everything is dandy.
Before you do anything to rash, maybe you should consider the possibility that it's software related.
Also try disconnect all usb devices and run the mouse/keyboard thru ps/2.

Anyway best of luck. :thumbsup:

edit
For a bit of fun, lets see how these amp calculations hold out concerning the first PSU.
(550-(3.3 * 30 + 5* 28 + 5 * 2))/12 = 25.08 Amp available on the 12V rails conbined. Since the card prolly rarely or ever draw that amount I think that should work.

Edited by nightspydk, 30 July 2010 - 12:46 AM.

#9 xNova

xNova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

The reason I interfered with your thread, was that I had a similar problem on a nvidia setup with both a GTX470 and 8800GTS with Windows ultimate 7 x64, where games froze and the display driver crashed (errorid 4101). I have given up trying to figure it out, but had to revert to a 32-bit system currently Windows 7 enterprise x86, where everything is dandy.
Before you do anything to rash, maybe you should consider the possibility that it's software related.

edit
For a bit of fun, lets see how these amp calculations hold out concerning the first PSU.
(550-(3.3 * 30 + 5* 28 + 5 * 2))/12 = 25.08 Amp available on the 12V rails conbined. Since the card prolly rarely or ever draw that amount I think that should work.

Night, did you try uninstalling the graphics card from device manager? I have an 8400GS that wasnt responding at all. It would go into a blue screen error in almost 5 minutes but i removed it from device manager and started up my computer again and it started to work again.

#10 nightspydk

nightspydk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

edit

Night, did you try uninstalling the graphics card from device manager? I have an 8400GS that wasnt responding at all. It would go into a blue screen error in almost 5 minutes but i removed it from device manager and started up my computer again and it started to work again.

You couldn't imagine what I've allready tried. :D Yep that and whole bunch of other things.
Like I said, the problem went away with the 'downgrade' to x86 and makes windows part of the problem. I'll just have to settle for that at the moment.
Thanks tho for the thought and sorry about the late response. :flowers:

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

Like I said, the problem went away with the 'downgrade' to x86 and makes windows part of the problem.

I highly doubt that windows was the problem that caused your issues.

#12 nightspydk

nightspydk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Like I said, the problem went away with the 'downgrade' to x86 and makes windows part of the problem.

I highly doubt that windows was the problem that caused your issues.

That's a bold statement, since all you know, is that my problem is 'somewhat' similar to that of the poster of this topic.
Well nevermind. :thumbsup:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...06-5c609209e232

A year of people pulling their hair out just like me with Windows 7 64-bit. It could just be it has something to do with the os or not?

Edited by nightspydk, 09 August 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

You ever thought about other hardware aspects such as a old outdated BIOS that is causing issues with Windows 64bit where as Windows x86 doesn't have this issue. You do know that these two OS's handle hardware very differently. If your issue was so common Windows 7 64bit would be recalled. I know several people who are running Windows 7 64bit flawlessly.

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2011 - 07:17 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#14 nightspydk

nightspydk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

That's a bold statement, since all you know, is that my problem is 'somewhat' similar to that of the poster of this topic.
Well nevermind. :thumbsup:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...06-5c609209e232

A year of people pulling their hair out just like me with Windows 7 64-bit. It could just be it has something to do with the os or not?
[/quote]

You ever thought about other hardware aspects such as a old outdated BIOS that is causing issues with Windows 64bit where as Windows x86 doesn't have this issue. You do know that these two OS's handle hardware very differently. If your issue was so common Windows 7 64bit would be recalled. I know several people who are running Windows 7 64bit flawlessly.
[/quote]
I'm convinced the problem is hardware related, but since this was on a brand new build x58 chipset GA-x58r-ud3r, it couldn't really have been because of outdated bios. Maybe the other way around, outdated Windows. :D
I really appreciate your concern, but I just honesly like to give it a rest, considering all I've tried. Maybe I'll try again in the near future and I'll be sure to involve you mate, if you still feel up to it.

Cheers. :flowers:

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2011 - 07:16 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

Just as a last post on this topic:

Just because your motherboard is "brand new" fresh out of the box DOES NOT MEAN that your BIOS is updated to the very latest and greatest. Your motherboard could have sat on the shelf at the warehouse for a couple of months and with in that time frame your motherboard manufacture may have updated the BIOS and posted it on their website due to an apparent flaw they found with a new release of windows. I have had that happen time and time again on my machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users