Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old monitor to be new. 40 parallel to div or vga, help please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ruthere89

ruthere89

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

I have an old monitor from an Acer notebook. The monitor is a small 15" monitor that is in perfect working order. With one minor problem. The connection, in order to conserve space, is a parallel 40 port adaption. My new computer has a VGA, and a DIV connection for input. I am in no mood to toss a perfectly good monitor and I know of nobody that wants to take this piece of hardware away from me. I honestly have no idea how I can rewire this. I can however take pictures of the wiring on the parallel if anyone is willing to help me. Like I stated, the old monitor, an Acer Aspire 5100 15.4" monitor with a 40 port parallel connection for the monitor, would need to be re-wired to fit either DIV or VGA. Also, I checked, there is such a thing as a video connection utilizing a parallel port. Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

The best plan would be to sell the LCD to someone who needs one to fix their Aspire. The LVDS (Low Voltage Digital Signalling) connection to the LCD is a direct connection from the output of the scaler to the LCD, it isn't the same signal as DVI and certainly not VGA which is analog.

You can obtain converter boards for DVI to LVDS, but buying one, an adapter to the Hirose connector and a power supply, would cost more than a monitor.

Edited by Platypus, 13 March 2011 - 07:35 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users