Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacked Email

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TN Lady

TN Lady

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

Late on Friday night and early Saturday morning (3-11/3-12), my email account was hacked from msn. When I logged on Saturday morning - early - I had 56 emails. While I get a lot of emails, these were mainly from "Postmaster" of various email systems noting a "delivery failure." I also have a friend on the East Coast who sent me an email telling me that he had gotten a "fake" email that was allegedly from me. After a LOT of frustration trying to get help from Microsoft and MSN, I did change my password. Frankly, both Microsoft and MSN have been of little or no help! And the volume of email that was send clogged my account to the point that MSN is periodically "blocking" my sending email So, I'm having trouble notifying everyone of the hijacking!

I operate on Windows 7 and I do have the Firewall "on." I have Avast Professional as my virus scan and it is current! In addition, I've got the full version of Malwarebytes. I have run both programs and have not found anything on the resulting "logs."

I did have trouble on Friday getting some documents in Acrobat Reader to load. Ended up "saving" the documents (Hyatt fact sheets) and then using Adobe to open and read them. I know that two people from my church also have had this similar problem but I know they are not sending me emails so I delete without opening. And I for darned sure do NOT follow any links! But this is the only problem that I've had.

I've actually changed my MSN password twice and while I know that nothing is "unbreakable", my new password is much harder. I am also changing other passwords. Because of all of this, MSN is "blocking" the account - off & on - because of the "excess volume" of email. I'm trying to get word out to my friends to delete anything that comes from me. Is there anything else that I should be doing? This has NOT been a fun experience! Also a friend asked me what he should do to avoid this. I don't really have an answer. So your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

When you logon to MSN webmail, do the spam emails appear in your sent folder?

#3 TN Lady

TN Lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

No. I just checked my msn "sent" mail on my computer as well as "on-line". Neither show the spam!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

From the returned mail, does it look like they are being sent to people you know or random people?

#5 TN Lady

TN Lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

All of the "delivery failure notices" that I got on Saturday morning when I logged into my computer were for people on my msn address book. In some cases, those people forwarded me a copy of the email that they received. The addresses shown are also all from my msn address book. There are no "random" people shown. This morning, I got an email from someone with a title Re: Heyyy. I didn't even open it on preview screen as I've never heard of this person or at least the name showing is not familiar. The address is @hotmail. And I'm even more suspecious now because of what happened! And I don't follow "links" unless I really know the sender!

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

I suggest you run scans from both of these programs:

http://www.malwarebytes.org

and

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

#7 TN Lady

TN Lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

I'll do this. I've already bought the Malwarebytes program and the log was "clean." I'll run the other one too. Along with changing my msn password - twice - is there anything else that I should do?

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

Yeah, let me know when your done with the cleaning and we will figure out some other items that I want you to look into.

#9 TN Lady

TN Lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

Okay. The eset scan is in process right now! I told it to also check the archive files.

#10 TN Lady

TN Lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

The ESET scan finished. It scanned 136496 files and "no threats" were found. I had run Malwarebytes yesterday - twice - with the same results. Now what?

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

Have you continued to have the problems since you changed your password?

#12 TN Lady

TN Lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

I am not aware of any other problems at this time. On Saturday, MSN actually had "blocked" my email for most of the day because it said I had exceeded the number of emails allowed per day. This happened a couple of times as I was trying to notify everyone on my address book of the situation. I was finally able to get that done late yesterday. Of course, whoever did this now has all of the email addresses.

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

There is a chance that your password was simply bruteforced. Was it a fairly easy one?

#14 TN Lady

TN Lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

I don't think it was. It was 4 numbers and my three initials. I now have a 9 character password - alpha characters and numbers and at least one character is capitalized. It is not my name, initials, etc. According to the MSN password program, it is "strong."

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

OK. To be 100% sure that it was not a keylogger that may have recorded your password, you may want to perform the steps in this guide in a new topic in the virus removal forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users