Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Re-Direct Problem That Won't Go Away

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Teddi109

Teddi109

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi there -

Sorry to add to the growing list of google re-direct issues but here is the situation:

I am running Windows XP. My husband downloaded "My Web Search" several weeks ago. I wasn't aware that he did this but that is neither here nor there. One day last week I noticed that my Google searches were re-directing. I had a similar problem several months ago and, after working on it for several hours, I called in a computer technician who remotely came onto my system and fixed it.

This time I called the same company but, after two tries it is still there. At the time the re-directs started, my system had Microsoft Security Essentials installed but it was apparently corrupted either before or after the re-directs began.

During the first attempt the computer technician ran Ccleaner, HiJack This and installed Avast. I was told that the problem was fixed but I found out the next day that it wasn’t. I installed Kaspersky Pure which identified that there was a problem, told me that it was corrected after a full system scan but the re-directs continued.

On the second go around the technician installed and ran CCleaner, Hijack This and Kaspersky Pure. He also went through and deleted all references to “My Web Search”. Again, I was told the problem was fixed but it still wasn’t.

I tried to get ahold of the technician again today but haven’t been successful. Today I ran “TDSKiller”, did another full scan with Kaspersky Pure and downloaded and ran “Malwarebytes” after disabling Kaspersky. Still, the re-directs are there.

I am really fed up with this and am about ready to take the CPU in for a total re-do and be done with it. Either that or I’ll throw the thing out the window. Since I’m not real keen on hauling my CPU into the shop or picking it’s broken remains off of the sidewalk if I can avoid it, I thought that I would give this one last try. Is there anyone out there who can help me out? I have no idea what to do at this point and, frankly, my faith in the technician is just about gone.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users