Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help...building A Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Walt

Walt

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:53 AM

Can someone give me some pointers for this issue. Someone gave me two hardrives that were virus infected. One is 20G and the other is 40 G. I want to build a desktop from scratch but I'm a newbie. I would like to put my OS on the 20G. Where should I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

You should preform a DoD wipe on each hard drive. This is where a program writes 0's to ever place on the hard drive. Including the unused spaces. This will destroy any programs on the hard drive.
I like Digtal Dolly. It has several good utilities.
When you download it, make sure you create a folder to download to. Unzip it into that folder. Write an .iso image to a cd with the contains of the folder. Not the folder it's self. If you place the folder on the cd with the files inside it the program will not work. The computer needs to see the files as it boots up. You do not need to have an operating system on the computer. Digital Dolly runs on a stripped down verison of Linux Red Hat. Select the format/wipe section and it's pretty straight forward from there.
You can post question here or PM me directly.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 leisje

leisje

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:26 AM

Dumb question acklan: can't you just format the drive when you go to install windows xp(if that is the operating system to be used)

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:03 AM

leisje - you can indeed, but not all formats are created equal, if you see what I mean. Most high-level formats simply rewrite the FAT table and/or sector headers leaving information untouched. Since in this case the information includes viruses we don't want any possibility of it being transferred to the new system. What Acklan suggests is a security wipe which does a multiple overwrite of every sector scrambling the information. Windows will probably still want to format the drive but now we can be sure the virus cannot ressurect itself.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 30 December 2005 - 03:04 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:25 AM

I agree, so step one would be to download digital dolly, and use it ... at which step of building a new PC from scratch? :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 leisje

leisje

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Rimmer. I understand(I think)At least now I know what to do if I ever encounter this situation :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:45 PM

I agree, so step one would be to download digital dolly, and use it ... at which step of building a new PC from scratch? :thumbsup:

On an new hard drive I would not use anything but the XP disk. There is really no need to do a security wipe on a clean drive.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

On an new hard drive I would not use anything but the XP disk. There is really no need to do a security wipe on a clean drive.

Kinda my thought, too. I do see it as a "something to do" either using another PC to wipe a "storage drive" completely in advance of an install, or as something to be done after the initial reloading ... if 't go perfectly, perhaps.

Hard drive manufacturer's utilities available can also assist in the process, like MaxBlast from maxtor.

Thanks for the extra input, both of you.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

Acklan is 100% correct >>>> viruses need a zero filling program to keill them or you will fight them again >>>> just formatting a drive does not wipe the old contents of the drive >>>> thats why their are recovery programs that boast they can reserect data after a formatt !!!!!!!!!! a format only writes overwrites data as needed to run the next OS or drive repartitioning etc.

Thats why I Zero Fill my drives EVERY time I want to do a clean install of the OS >>>> or you can get boogered up from old files left behind by a reformatt process

my favorite is Dban Boot & Nuke (free) they have floppy disk versions as well as Cd versions >>>> I always suggest the floppy versions becasue fewer forum users mess them up or cant perfrom the process >>>> it even has a "auto nuke" option so you dont have to input any info !!!!! during the wipe process

and there is NO recovery method (not even the CIA) heheheeh that can get data off a disk that has been nuked !! its a DOD (dept of defense) approved hard drive cleaner.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

regards

joe

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

linderman if you like the DoD wipe you should try the Gutman wipe. 38 passes (See signture below for option). Look at Digital Dolly 1.0. It needs no OS. It is based off of Red Hat.

#11 carressingbreeze

carressingbreeze

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:43 PM

2 HARDRIVES-(1) new (1) old w/information that I want to retrieve.

The old harddrive gave out i believe due to a virus.. I have a stupid HP Compaq, I hate the way the drives are set up inside. I bought a new hard drive- a Seagate 200GB made that one the master; and my original Matrix (or something like that) is a 80GB hard drive it is the slave(it has my music and writings on it, etc.).. I installed the hard drives and when I pressed on the power button, i get nothing... There is a black connector that has several wires to it, I traced the wires and 1 or 2 of them go to the exterior power button, this connection is not plugged in, & I can't see anywhere that it might plug into..

Now, I have read the posts here, i didn't realize, and in fact had been told by a technician that I would not infect my new hard drive by making my old dead one the slave..and that I might be able to access the old one this way... How can I clean the old one when I can't even get it to boot up... I realize that if possible this would be the first step, then I might be able to have the Windows XP Home operational again on the old one and could retrieve the files that I need to have...

How does one obtain digital dolly 1.0 or Gutman wipe?
Thank you in advance for help.. I am truely a novice when it comes to hardware...

~Your Life is a Manifestation of Your Dream - It is an Art. Intent is Life Itself - Unconditional Love...

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:28 PM

Download DD from the following link...Digtal Dolly
Before you download it create a folder on your computr called Digital Dolly. Download into that folder. Uncompress the file in the same folder. You will have to write the contains (the contains only) of the folder onto the CD in .iso format. When it prompts you how to write to the CD click the drop down box and select .iso .
All you will need to do is boot will the cd. It does not need a OS on the computer to work. The Gutman Standard will be listed under drive wiping. I don't think you will want to do that. A Gutman wipe will take 36 to 48 hour on that 200GB HD. A quick wipe is all you will need. At worst a DoD Stantards wipe. Even that is swatting flies with nuclear weapons.

#13 Walt

Walt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:46 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I have had a change of plans for right now. I've been on the 98*Grinler forum because someone gave me an old Compaq Presario 5304 that I'm trying to use. I read somewhere that I couldn't install the two hard drives that I have due to proprietary reasons of Compaq. Is this true? What kind of upgrades are possible? Thanks for your patience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users