Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista BSOD issue... External HDD? or Crashplan? or ???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon779978

Brandon779978

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hello, my name is Brandon...

System Info:

Microsoft Vista Home Premium - 64bit
Service Pack 2
Intel Core2 Duo D8500 @ 3.16GHz
8 Gigs Ram (I believe it's dual-channel)

Problem:

I woke up this morning, moved my mouse cursor to "awaken" my system - checked my hotmail and everything locked up, then received a BSOD... Now I basically get repeated stop errors + reboots when I load windows normally...

What has changed:

In the last couple of days I've added a 500GB Seagate HDD (it is powered by the USB cord) + I've also downloaded the CrashplanPro backup service... I believe 1 of these two things is causing the problem...

What I've done:

I removed the external hdd, first thing, then proceeded to:

I can log into SafeMode without any trouble to this point, no BSOD's etc... I did a system restore back to 2 days ago before Crashplan was installed (actually skipped a restore point that was created with a WindowsUpdate, skipped a restore point noted when Crashplan was installed, and chose a restore point that was created by a WindowsUpdate from 2 days prior) - basically back to when things were "good" - this was done from within SafeMode... Rebooted - same thing, another BSOD... The OS did load up, I noticed that the Crashplan service did not start when the desktop fully loaded so I believe the restore point took, but then within 10-15 seconds I got the BSOD/reboot... Again, external HDD was not connected at this point

I then loaded up the defaults in the BIOS in an attempt to try to fix "something" there... I feel like the problem has something to do with the external HDD, power saving/sleep mode, or not getting enough power from the USB cord... maybe some residual bleep leftover from it being attached + data being backed up off of it to an offsite location but don't know the best way to check for this + scratching my head because the BSOD's continue even after the new external HDD is not attached + the system was rolled back to when CrashPlan was not installed... I loaded the defaults in an attempt to "clear" something out of the BIOS - when I press TAB to see what is recognized it notes that I have 1 usb device - the mouse... so... no luck there... Again - the external HDD was still not connected at this point - still got a BSOD when the desktop fully loaded on a normal boot...

Next step I logged back into SafeMode + ran a SFC/scan from command line - it noted that there were no integrity issues found... I then reconnected the external HDD to do the next step - a CHKDSC running on the System drive (only HDD installed - 250GB) + also have one scheduled to run on the external HDD but not sure if it is going to do it all in one swoop, or if it will attempt to boot after it's finished checking the system drive...

Other stuff that may be noteworthy:

1. This is a relatively fresh install of Vista due to a Virus/BSOD issue that wiped out my system about 3 months ago... Never quite pin-pointed what the problem was but I did have a nasty virus/trojan that kicked all the mayhem off when that happened... music was playing from an online ad from seemingly out of nowhere, no programs would load up, repeated BSOD's in normal + safemode (i know, weird)... eventually had to lose everything and do a fresh install... the only real hardware component check's ran during this time were chkdsk (no error's found) + physical ram tests (both Microsoft's version on the Vista install disk + an actual Memtest...) This was done given that I was getting stop errors even in safemode so I was thinking hardware component on top of the virus/trojan as well... Microsoft's memory utility found a "hardware issue" + Memtest did not... I also did try to pull the individual memory sticks out one at a time to pinpoint a "bad" one + also in pairs of 2 but not sure if I did this correctly given that it is dual-channel memory - I continued to get stop errors regardless of the memory configuration... I just threw it over my shoulder given the reviews of the two separate programs - mainly folks saying that Memtest being the much more reliable of the two... In short: the first attempt at a re-install went off without a hitch and the system has been rock solid for 3 months up to this point.

2. I just replaced an external HDD that failed/went bad... It was a WD MyBook that had separate power/data cables... It always made a "click" noise when I would bring the computer out of sleep mode, as if it was turning on/powering up... little did I know that this behavior was bad due to the fact that it has done it for over 2 years since I've had the damn thing... anyways - 3/4 days ago rather than clicking once, it just began a cycle of 4-6 six clicks + the OS/bios would no longer recognize it (tried it on my laptop - still clicked/nothing, took it out of the external drive, hooked it up internally to my system - nothing, tried the freezer trick as a last resort, etc - nothing - just kept clicking away and it couldn't be recognized)...

So, with that said - it has bugged me that any external device (external HDD, thumbdrive, etc) has to come "out of sleep mode" or "be powered up" when I take my system out of sleep mode (at least in the last 3 months)... As if it gets "re-attached"... I wonder what services handle this? it doesn't seem like it used to do this on an older install of Vista I had (previous to that install 3 months ago) - almost like it was treated like a normal internal HDD prior to the most recent install...

3. New external is powered by the cord itself (said that before) - but I've only plugged it into one of the usb ports on the front panel of my system to this point... not sure if the port itself could play into the possible power/sleep mode issue...

Anyways - I'm lost here... gonna see what chkdsk does for me (looking like it will be a few hours here)... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Life's weird - I'm trying to implement some kind of fail safe redundancy here so I'm never stuck losing my system, my setup, and most importantly my work (graphic designer) again but now all this madness is going on in attempt to do bleep the right way for once... I do have Acronis TrueImage installed and had a "safe" disk image to load up on the external that FAILED 3/4 days ago... so that's gone... Didn't quite get around to doing that yet on the new external HDD given that I haven't even had a chance to work on my system since I attached it a day and a half ago due to being busy/life... So I fear the worst here, like a bad dream all over again... (looked for an Emoticon drawing a noose & hanging himself to insert here but didn't find it)

I hope this didn't come off too wordy - just want to give as much info/insight as possible, really hope I can get out of a jam here... thanks again for your time in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Welcome to BC. Have you tried googling the stop error from another computer to see what microsoft says?

#3 Brandon779978

Brandon779978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for welcome...

update:

ChkDsk finished... did a normal boot with the external HDD still attached... acted fine for about a minute then received another BSOD... turned the system completely off... removed the external HDD... tried a normal boot again - BSOD right after I typed in my password...

Booted to safemode - was going to try another restore point, windows prompted me that there are errors on my system drive that needed to be fixed prior to running a restore point... so Chkdsk is running again...

ChkDsk is about done... I'll give that a go next - is there a quick way to access the "dumpfile" or stop error from within safemode? The system reboots very quickly after the BSOD on a normal boot...

Thanks again.

#4 Brandon779978

Brandon779978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

update:

so now it just continuously goes to chkdsk after chkdsk finishes, whether I try to log into safemode or normal boot... I don't want to stop it but I wait an hour to see if I can get somewhere and then it does it again...

very frustrating...

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

that sounds really annoying. There is a program called bluescreenview and you can run it in safe mode (I guess put it on usb or cd) and post what it says. What I am looking for is something like 0x000000ef or something similar. Then put that in google and it should bring up a microsoft knowledge base article with a solution (hopefully). Let me know if you get that bluescreenview to work. If not, boot up with F8 and choose do not restart after blue screen, then write down the stop code with pen and paper and post it here.

Good luck!

#6 Brandon779978

Brandon779978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

BlueScreenView

==================================================
Dump File : Mini031311-02.dmp
Crash Time : 3/13/2011 11:07:12 PM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x0000000a
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000010
Parameter 2 : 00000000`0000000c
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : fffff800`01ec4194
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a490
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031311-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 270,688

Dump File : Mini031311-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/13/2011 10:03:01 PM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d3
Parameter 1 : fffff960`0030b16c
Parameter 2 : 00000000`0000000c
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : fffff800`01e90b6e
Caused By Driver : win32k.sys
Caused By Address : win32k.sys+29b16c
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031311-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 266,616

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

ok, two things jump out at me here:

First the IRQ error. Interrupt request level (IRQL) was higher than the number that was expected. A process running in kernel mode cannot access a process that has an IRQL which is greater than its own. Second, the driver error. This is probably a software problem.

I would do a repair install of vista if you have the disk. If not, press f8 during startup and go to advanced boot options and choose repair computer. Under system recovery options, choose startup repair. I don't think this should need the disk but I could be wrong, I have always used the disk so I am not sure.

#8 Jaksueaj

Jaksueaj

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

Hi Guys!
i dn't have a computer problem but i love reading forums about pc, thanks for the effort trying to help others, ill soon as i have problems too..keep it up!

#9 Brandon779978

Brandon779978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

First of all - thank you Thrillhouse for all of your time.

I believe it turned out to be the whitesmoke toolbar virus... don't want to get into all the bleep (numerous hardware diagnostics tests - seatools, memtest, prime95) i've done over the past 3 days - CONVINCED it was hardware issue considering the constant BSOD's even in safemode... on a whim decided to run malwarebytes yesterday, found 671 instances of it, removed...

today was messing around with Autoruns, found an instance still being loaded that referred to whitsmoke - researched it further an ran TDSSKiller along with malwarebytes...

been rock solid for about 3 hours now for the first time in days after constant BSOD's in normal + safemodes... probably have over 30 minidumps by now...

still shocked + a little apprehensive to go "full speed" here but I've ran multiple instances of chrome along side 64bit photoshop, illustrator, virus scanning - basically loading the system up with work to do and everything is going great...

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

cool, glad you're fixed, if it comes back try the malware board. Take it easy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users