Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer wont open

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 whiteshoes

whiteshoes

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

hi i have just done a system restore on a friends pc and now every time i try to open the internet it flashes on for about a second then disappears please help !!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

1) Why did you need to do a system restore?
2) Do other browsers work (firefox, opera, safari)?
3) Are there any other issues with the system?

#3 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

hi thx for your reply 1)it was just to get rid of a load of stuff they had on there 2)no they wont start up either 3)no other issues tia

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

Define "a load of stuff". Are we talking about malware? EXACTLY what did you do before the problem arose?

#5 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

hi as far as i was aware there was no malware ...loads of stuff was various toolbars, games and it was just running slowly so i did a system restore to hopefully start the pc again with minimal amount of programs

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to give you a hard time but your posts really don't make sense. You uninstalled some tool bars and then did a system restore? That doesn't make sense. And you did a system restore to start with "minimal amount of programs"? That doesn't make sense either. Why would you delete things and then do a system restore? And why would system restore determine the number of programs starting?

It would really be helpful if you explain everything you did - step by step. WHAT did you delete? HOW did you do a system restore?

Clearly something you did caused this problem, but you are only providing bits and pieces and as I said, it really doesn't make sense. Please, instead of one or two line posts, take your time and tell us everything. Either that, or perhaps someone else can figure out what I can't. Thank you.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

...loads of stuff was various toolbars...

Often a sign of infection(s) by adaware if not more serious malware.

#8 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

hi ok sorry about that the pc was running very slow because it had a lot of programs, games , google chrome was on it as well as firefox so rather than trying to delete everthing i did a system restore by going into start menu/accessories/system tools. i was hoping that if i went back as far as possible there would be less programs to slow the pc down and therefore the pc would be "cleaner" for want of a beter description and be a bit quicker.when i now turn the pc on everthing comes on ok except when i try to log onto the internet with internet explorer it flashes up for a second then goes off. but the pc shows that im connected to the internet i hope this will help you to solve my problem tia

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

Okay, let's start at the top.

1) Uninstalling programs does not speed up the system. It simply frees up disc space, which has no impact on performance (unless the disc was literally full).
2) Using system restore does not uninstall programs. It replaces the registry and system files with versions from the date selected, nothing else.
3) If your system was running slow it was NOT because of how many programs or games were installed, something else was at work.
4) You said other browsers won't open. I have a hard time believing that if there is nothing else wrong with your system other than IE not opening that Firefox or Opera or Safari would not open. There is no connection among IE and any of the other browsers. IE is part of Windows, the others are not.

Do you have an anti virus app installed? If so, run a full scan of the system with it. ALSO run a full scan with MalwareBytes. Let's see where we are then.

Also, do you have an original XP cd? We may need that later.

#10 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

ok thx i will run a scan with AVG and let you know ....i dont think i got the original cd but i will see if i can get hold of 1 tia

#11 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

hi i run a full scan with AVG this didnt find anything. i then run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and this found adware toolbar so i removed that but it hasnt made any difference

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

Okay, if you are certain your system is not infected we can try a Repair Installation. Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option (step by step instructions in the link below). Done properly, a repair install will not effect install apps or Windows settings. After the repair you'll need to visit Windows Update and download and install all updates (except for hardware / driver updates, which should only be obtained from oem websites, never from Windows Update).

Step by step instructions for a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users