Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, Can only boot with CD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 teamodave

teamodave

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

This just started last night. The monitor went black with a blinking cursor. Upon reboot, I get the Blue Screen fo Death, with the message:

"Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF74BB2B2, 0xF789E4AO, 0xF789E1AO)

*** FLTMGR.SYS - ADDRESS F74BB2B2 base at F74A3000, DATESTAMP 480251da"

I have tried to boot to safe mode, resulting in the same BSOD.

I have tried to boot from the CD-ROM with the XP OS CD, resulting in the same BSOD.

From the CD boot, I have been able to get to the Windows Setup and have attempted to repair Windows, but upon the restart, I get the same BSOD.

Can anybody give me some clues as to what would cause this problem and how I may go about fixing it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
teamodave

Edited by teamodave, 13 March 2011 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

<<...have been able to get to the Windows Setup and have attempted to repair Windows...>>

Exasctly what did you try to do...and what actually happened?

System manufacturer and model?

The black screen, blinking cursor answer/interpretation...depends on the system.

Louis

#3 teamodave

teamodave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

My computer is a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 running XP Home Edition.

Running Windows XP Home Edition Setup, I selected Repair, trying to fix Windows. It seem to be running (checking configuration, copying files, etc...) and then it automatically reboots as part of the repair process and it reboots to the same BSOD.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-129187-dell-laptop-black-screen-flashing-cursor

Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx

See comments by Dunedin at http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/flashing-cursor-top-left-side-of-blank-screen-225378.html .

The typical premise for this used to be that the MBR was bad, which users attempted to correct by running the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console. But this does some unwatned things in Dell systems, which is what the first link is all about.

Louis

#5 teamodave

teamodave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-129187-dell-laptop-black-screen-flashing-cursor

Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx

See comments by Dunedin at http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/flashing-cursor-top-left-side-of-blank-screen-225378.html .

The typical premise for this used to be that the MBR was bad, which users attempted to correct by running the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console. But this does some unwatned things in Dell systems, which is what the first link is all about.

Louis

Regarding the first link, the first reply is for Vista, not XP. I tried the different combinations of the Boot Sequence in Setup and still had the same results (Blue Screen, same message. I also removed all unnecessary peripherals to see if the PSU was underpowered. Rebooted with same results.

Regarding the second link, I tried the Setup, Recovery Console, fixmbr and fixboot. All seemed to do what they were supposed to except the end result was a reboot to the same Blue Screen message. I also ran CHKDSK /r and it said it found and repaired 1 error. After reboot, same Blue Screen message.

I don't have another PC to install the HD in to run Anti-virus software on the drive. I do have a 2nd HD on the computer, with 500g. Should I swap them so that the 500g is Master and install XP on that? I would prefer to keep the 500g drive as the slave in the long run, as it holds all my pics and music files. I really don't want anything to happen to this drive. It is backed up to a USB HD, so if it doesn't hurt anything, I can swap them for testing purposes. I just wouldn't want to unnecessarily risk hurting the 2nd HD.

I've also tried, if I haven't stated before, the Repair Installation from my Dell CD with no luck. Same Blue Screen.

If I try to setup Windows, press F8 to accept the EULA, I get the choice to Press r to repair or press ESC to install a fresh copy of XP. If I press R, I get:

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following Windows installation.

C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.

* To retry upgrading to Windows XP, press ENTER.

* To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

* To quit Setup, press F3.

When I retry upgrading, Setup runs and automatically reboots to the same Blue Screen.

When I try the install fresh copy without repairing, I get:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

* To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.

* To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

* To delete the selected partition, press D.

76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition1 [FAT] 39 MB ( 32 MB free)
C: Partition2 (MAIN DRIVE) [NTFS] 76246 MB ( 18231 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

476938 MB Disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

D: Partition1 (2ND DRIVE) [NTFS] 476938 MB (360690 MB free)

If I try to install XP on C:Partition2, I get the message:

You chose to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another operating system. Installing XP on this partition might cause the other operating system to function improperly.

CAUTION: Installing multiple operating systems on a single partition is not recommended. To learn more about installing multiple operating systems on a single computer, see

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/multiboot.asp

using Internet Explorer.

* TO continue Setup using this partition, press C.

* To select a different partition, press ESC.

This where I was afraid to go any further as I didn't want to compound my troubles. Should I create a new partiion and intall XP on it? Should I install XP in the same partition as the old one and would it replace it? Should I install it on my D: drive? If I can just get Windows up and running, then I can run the Anti-virus and hopefully get this thing fixed.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:41 AM

Well...IMO, you are unnecessarily complicating things...by having two hard drives installed.

You also seem to have a small reovery/restore partition on your system...I don't have any experience with such (I don't have OEM systems).

Suggest you wait for some suggestions from others.

Also...it bothers me that you mention running AV several times. If this is a malware issue...that should have been stated in the beginning, since it is very pertinent info.

Louis

#7 teamodave

teamodave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

I have had 2 drives on my system for at least 2 years now, with no problems.

I have no experience with these either. I'm hoping that info will help someone help me.

I don't know that this is a malware issue, I just am trying to cover all bases. It wouldn't hurt to run antivirus now, would it.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Dave

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

If you have malware issues...this is the wrong forum. No one here in the XP forum...can overcome those, since malware issues are only dealt with the following BC forums:

Am I Infected - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users