Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death! UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Error

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jennafurless

jennafurless

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Good morning Computer Gods! I have returned, but NOT with a virus! I am experiencing technical difficulties with my Dell Laptop.

Yesterday while multi tasking (read: over working the machine), my computer was performing quite slowly, so I decided to give it a fresh go and restarted. On boot up, it went to Blue Screen of Death with the following error: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I do recall while trying to transfer photos to the machine, I was getting "insufficient parameter errors" and the files would not copy over. This is when I began to close programs/files/folders and was planning for a restart.

When attempting to restart, I am given the option to Safe start (w or w/o networking), Last Known or Normally. I've tried to restart using each method, every result ending with the Blue Screen of Death.

I don't know what to do!

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance,
Jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

HD may be dead or dying. Boot to your XP CD (make sure the cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order) and choose the FIRST repair option. Once you get to the recovery console run chkdsk /r

after check disk completes, enter both of these commands:

fixboot
fixmbr

(Press ENTER after each command).

Then reboot. If the problem persists, open the case and check the cables to and from the hd. If you still can't boot, the hd may be shot.

#3 jennafurless

jennafurless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

LoL, I hope I am following along correctly. Before proceeding, I just wanted to double check. I have just completed the Check Disk task, the fixboot and have just entered in "fixmbr". I have received a **CAUTION** from the machine which reads, "This computer appears to have a non-standard master boot record. FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed. This could cause all of the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible. Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?"

I should hit "Y"?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

not yet. That's a message you can usually ignore, but let's reboot first and see what happens

Edited by Allan, 13 March 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#5 jennafurless

jennafurless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

Apologies, you would like me to attempt to reboot BEFORE running the fixmbr and NOT press YES?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

Correct

#7 jennafurless

jennafurless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thank you, I promise, I am not a total moron, just want to be sure I'm doing exactly as you are directing. :)

I pressed "N" for the fixmbr task and exited to reboot. Sitting at the BSOD again...

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

I never thought you were anything but careful. I'd do the same in your shoes.

Okay, are you comfortable opening the case and checking the cables to and from the hd?

#9 jennafurless

jennafurless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

Ummmm, not really, LoL, however, I am past my warranty with Dell AND I couldn't possibly end up any worse off then where I am sitting right now, right?!

I will Google the CORRECT way to open it up to check the wires (unless you have any pointers, like DON'T TOUCH THE BLACK WIRE! haha) and will report back with what I see... Do you require a photo?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

I'm typing a second message just to stay one step ahead in case the cables are not the problem. One other thing you can try before going back in and running fixmbr (which, at this point, I'm guessing won't help anyway) is to go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to disc (see the instructions in the link below for burning an .iso image) and run it. My guess, however, is the drive is shot. If there is data on it that you need you can try slaving it (directions also below) and see if you can access the drive that way. Again, it may or may not work.

.iso burning: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

slaving a drive: http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

Sorry, back to your question. It's really not a big deal. Just disconnect the system from AC power before opening the case and touch the metal case before touching anything inside (just to discharge static if needed). You'll see the hd and there will be two cables leading to it. Make sure those cables are firmly seated to the hd and to the motherboard. Don't worry about touching anything else - you won't hurt anything - it's just a machine :) ).

#12 jennafurless

jennafurless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

LoL, thank you for including the slave information! I was going to ask if there was a way in cmd that I could back door save files from the HD. I *could* live without all of it, but I would be much more miserable and possibly drunk by noon.

I want to add, I am still trying to figure out how to take this thing apart! Laptops are much more confusing than a PC tower! I cant figure out how to get to the connection wires... I will report back once I've had my hands inside...

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hold off - didn't realize it's a laptop. No need to take it apart. And different instructions for slaving:

Here you go:

Edited by Allan, 13 March 2011 - 12:16 PM.

#14 jennafurless

jennafurless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

OOPS! I just realized, I didn't include that info... Gosh, I kinda feel like that moron I was talking about earlier! Apologies!!

And, makes me breathe a little easier, now I can put this thing back together! hahaha!

I will now do the HD diagnostics and see what we get.

Thanks so much for the slave info for this, looks much less confusing with the tutorial having the right parts! ;)

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

You're welcome. Keep us posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users