Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Know If A Virus Is Still On My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kada

Kada

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

I got a virus which Avast recognised as a Rootkit. It made my computer re-start and then I wasn't able to use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome which was my default browser. The home pages would just keep trying to load continuously and I would have to force a shut down as they wouldn't shut down normally either. Some of my received files which open in Internet Explorer wouldn't work either.

A friend installed Microsoft Security Essentials which picked up a Java Exploit. After removing that I could use Internet Explorer but all the other problems were still there as the Rootkit hadn't been removed. Avast could only recognise it. The location was: MBR:\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 and the name was: Rootkit: hidden boot-sector.

I performed a restoration which took my system back to how it was when I first bought my laptop. Since then, though all the problems I noticed have been fixed. and Avast doesn't recognise any Rootkit virus on my laptop anymore or anything else. I'm still concerned that there may be some kind of infection on my computer. I would appreciate any advice about what measures I can take to check that my system is clean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users