Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Rom Drive ... Functionality?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BIZZARRE

BIZZARRE

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:30 PM

Hello,

I've recently been experiencing some trouble with my CD ROM Drive. It's serial number is HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B. Now, it works fairly well with some CD's, but, when I attempt to use it with others my system virtually freezes. What happens is I get some clicking from my CD Drive and my processor's "think" LED is lit fully. It eventually opens some CD and allows for slow navigation through it. What happens all to often now, though, is it completely stalls out. And exact instance would be the following. I wrote a Data CD about a year ago with Nero and I placed it in the CD Drive. I attempted to open the CD today, and the normal slow feedback occured as it presented my with the various CD options (ie Take No Action, Open with Windows Media Player, etc.). When I navigate to view the CD the drive starts its noise or "music." It goes crazy and stalls my computer, but, the ctrl+alt+del is functional and responds promptly. As far as I know my computer goes into a endless cycle of noises and will not stop until the CD is removed. Now, I have an alternate computer using a Mitsumi CD/RW and when placed in the drive it responds immediatly and allows me to copy the files on the same CD to the Harddrive without a fuss. It is clearly my HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B drive, or, am I missing something crucial here? Also, my drive no longer successfully burns CD-R's and damages them rendering them useless.

My computer's specs are Intel Celeron D 335 Processor 2.80 GHz, and 768 MB RAM, made in late 2004, so my drive is virtually brand new. If anything more is required let me know. By the way my other computer with the Mitsumi Drive was made in 2000 and works better, it has a Intel Pentium III 933 MHz and 384 MB RAM.

I would appreciate any feedback, thank-you for your time.
-BIZZARRE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:32 AM

:thumbsup: to BC BIZZARRE,

You may be able to fix the problem using a CD/DVD lens cleaner - this looks like a CDROM but it has fine brushes attached to the playing surface. They cost a few dollars but you can use them on all the CD or DVD devices in the house so it won't go to waste.

Failing that your DVD burner may be faulty, my own experience is they are not long-lived devices. The only practical solution is to replace the drive. Any DVD burner will do, they are all the same size and have the same connectors etc. But check it burns the format(s) you are most likely to use. If you took it somewhere to be fixed that's most likely all they would do anyway.

hth :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 23 December 2005 - 07:35 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 BIZZARRE

BIZZARRE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

thanks for your welcome & suggestion but it did not work. I've reinstalled the drivers and what not, but after a burned a CD a short while ago its been acting strange. prior to that CD it worked great, but I noticed today after some "extensive" training, it does not open burned Data CD's. Could some program, a virus or what not, have placed a bug in the way a CD is burned rendering it now useless? It can no longer erase CD-RW's either. I've checked & cleaned my computer of all Viruses, and Spyware/Adware.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:34 PM

I believe Rimmer was referring to a lens cleaner not a virus cleaner. It comes as a kit. You can pick one up at your locate department store.
He was also referring to select the write format you use. If you don't purchase a DVD-RW you don't need to worry about the format.

Edited by acklan, 23 December 2005 - 06:37 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:08 PM

Which drivers have you reinstalled? The drive may have some drivers of it's own - and there are drivers for it to communicate with the motherboard's controller. Then Windows throws it's stuff into the mix.

What have you used to clean your system of viruses and spyware. Did you update the definition files before using the programs? What is your status with Windows Updates?

The easiest thing would be to go into Device Manager (Start...Run...type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Once in, locate your DVD drive (under the DVD/CD Drives category), right click on it and select "Uninstall" - answer Yes or OK to the prompts to remove this device. Then, reboot and let Windows redetect and install the device again. See if this has made any difference and let us know.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 BIZZARRE

BIZZARRE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

What have you used to clean your system of viruses and spyware. Did you update the definition files before using the programs? What is your status with Windows Updates?

The easiest thing would be to go into Device Manager (Start...Run...type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Once in, locate your DVD drive (under the DVD/CD Drives category), right click on it and select "Uninstall" - answer Yes or OK to the prompts to remove this device. Then, reboot and let Windows redetect and install the device again. See if this has made any difference and let us know.

I knew what Rimmer was talking about and I cleaned it with a Maxell CD Lens Cleaner

I've done it all. Nothing

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:49 AM

If a drive in another computer operates properly reading your disks and the one in yours does not, assuming you have updated the appropriate drivers, then it would be logical that you have a hardware problem.

Can you borrow a different DVD/cd burner and install it temporarily to see if it works without malfunction?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users