Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot find a program that says it is installed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ajax7 dragon

ajax7 dragon

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I am supposed to have AVG Internet Security 2011 installed on my computer. When I boot up, the User Account Control asks if I want to allow AVG to run. It says it's installed on my hdd. I say yes. When I go into the hdd, I cannot find AVG anywhere except in the folder Program Files(x86). And the actual executable is not in there, just a few odd files. I have a feeling that the installation might have been interrupted, but every time I try to continue or reinstall it nothing happens after the file extraction hits 100%. It is not in the control panel applications, and when I search for it, nothings shows in the results. I don't know what other information might be pertinent. I am tired, and I have been working at this for a while now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

Run the AVG removal tool: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

Download a fresh copy & reinstall (if you still want AVG) :crazy: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download

Edited by Union_Thug, 13 March 2011 - 08:10 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:25 AM

After you uninstall AVG download and install Avast, it is a better anti virus. AVG is developing a reputation similar to what Norton has been living with, it's proprietorial to the point of interfering. It also seems that it misses some types of infections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:49 AM

After you uninstall AVG download and install Avast, it is a better anti virus. AVG is developing a reputation similar to what Norton has been living with, it's proprietorial to the point of interfering. It also seems that it misses some types of infections.

I completely agree with you. I've had many problems before with Norton and AVG which is why I normally avoid them. I've known about Avast for about 4 years now and recommend it to anyone looking for a free AV solution.

Edited by master131, 13 March 2011 - 04:50 AM.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

FWIW, I strongly agree with the 2 replies above.:thumbup2:

#6 ajax7 dragon

ajax7 dragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm currently working and don't have access to the computer right now. The only reason to stick with avg is that one year of the paid version has already been purchased by the computer's owner. So, I just wanted to fix that problem. Thank you for the solution, I will get on it asap. I also agree on choice of avast as avg hasn't been my friend for a while now.

#7 ajax7 dragon

ajax7 dragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

Union, thank you for your information. It worked perfectly, I had forgotten they had their own removal tool for such reasons. As for avast, that is what I currently use on my own system. I have also seen another AV that has a red square with a white umbrella lined on it for the desktop icon. I can't remember which that is, if anyone would care to refresh my memory?

It is Avira Anti-Virus. I assume avast! is better than this as well?

This may also be locked afterward.

Edited by ajax7 dragon, 14 March 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

You're welcome ajax, glad it worked out. For future reference here's a really good AV Uninstaller reference link: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

Avira Anti-Virus. I assume avast! is better than this as well?

I don't think there's a definitive answer to that ques, more a matter of personal preference among other things for the average user like myself. I will say that before using Avast, I used Avira for about 6-8 months and found it's updates "buggy" & time consuming and had several false positives which I reported to Avira support. They never responded to my (repeated) requests to do so, which left me with a bad taste for their product. Before that I used AVG for YEARS---they've become resource hogs and have picked up where Norton has left off as far as causing system problems, etc. IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users