Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Use Headphones with a Samsung LCD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

One problem with the new TVs out there: no earphones or headphones jacks. Any ideas how to plug a set of headphones into, say, a Samsung LCD LN32D450?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Modern TVs are designed with the expectation they will be used with Home Theatre sound. Assuming it has a stereo Monitor Out, you can drive a dedicated amp, or RF or IR transmitter with the appropriate headphones. That's it really - sets may have internals that make a headphone connection impossible or unfeasible, like semi-live chassis internally or digital amp output that can be damaged by getting a wrong loading.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:01 AM

Well, let's start with the cheapest solution first. Would I be able to plug in a standard set of computer speakers, since they come with their own headphone jack? Or would I need adapter to connect my speakers to the TV?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

I expect you'd need an adapter or lead with the appropriate plug/s each end. Does the set have output sockets? I haven't been able to confirm this from online references I've found, only inputs being listed. Mostly an output would be a pair of RCA sockets.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

If the set has RCA audio outs, these may be active and can be adapted to a headphone. Most likely, the only active audio out will be the optical audio output, the TOSLink. TOSLink to analog adapters seem to be rather rare, but one example is HERE.

Edited by ddeerrff, 15 March 2011 - 09:59 AM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback. As it turns out, I was in luck. There's an audio out jack in back that works perfectly for headphones without the need of an intermediary device. Just plug in, then select "external speakers" option. Done.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for sharing the solution to your issue. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users