Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 1102

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

I have a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router with a cable connection on two homebuilt Windows 7 machine, I recently purchased a Android Tablet PC but have not received it yet.

I am hoping to download some apps on the Android Tablet PC that allow me to use it as a address book, maps, and maybe emailing. I don't believe its very powerful but will see what it can do.

This is where I need some extremely basic help: I can connect to the wireless network at work with a password but I also want to connect wirelessly at home though I need to setup the wirelss connections, at home I've only ever used a wired connection with the router, there are two computers on the router at home each with Windows 7.

As this is a new venture, would anyone have suggestions on where I can find help on how to do this and not breach the security of my home system? I live in an apartment complex and I'm sure there are many wireless and wired devices.

Thanks,

Stan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

go to http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54GL/download select hardware version and download user guide.

enable wireless, test, once you have it working add security

#3 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

Thank you for the reply and the link, reading through the instructions it appears difficult to setup but maybe once I get the wireless device and go through the steps it will be more clear, your advice is appreciated, I hope to get delivery this week, I might need more help once I begin.

#4 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

I will say the Android tablet will do what you want it to do and much more.
There are many apps that will allow you to sync your contacts , calender and notes between all your computers and your New tablet together.

As far as the wireless goes and passwords go.....

I have similar situations as you. At work you will use an easy password to log in because its a probably a public wi-fi access.

At home you will be setting it up a bit different, all in all you will probably be using a password Key(a bunch or #'s and Letter's). Once you set it up and connect once.. the Tablet will remember your Home network and connect when your in range.So you wont have to enter a password each time.

Re-post with any problems on the wireless home network, and maybee someone can lead you in the right direction :)

#5 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

Thank you for the reply, you are correct about connecting at work as it is a public wi-fi access, that is what others have said, I don't know anything about it and that is one of the reasons I thought I should buy something like this Android tablet along with the other needs I mentioned so your remarks sound encouraging, now I'm just waiting for 1saleaday to send it out.

I am counting on the home setup to go alright but I've never done anything like this before and I don't want to compromise my small home network security with the wireless.

#6 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

Yes , I understand your concern with security.

No wireless connection is ever really secure, but there are ways to make them more secure than the average Wi-fi network. I would suggest using a Mac adress filtering, if its supported with your set-up.

In your spare time I would suggest reading up on some wireless network stuff (anything you can find and understand).

A good starter Link would be HERE

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

MAC address filtering is pretty ineffective anymore as a security measure. MAC address`s can be cloned.

@ 1102. I have no experience with the Android. But doing some reading it would seem that it can be configured to use WPA. This would be the way to go in regards to setting up a secure connection.

Anything less, MAC filtering, WEP, etc. has and can be cracked fairly easily with tools readily available on the Internet.

#8 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

Thank you for the link, I glanced through it and there appears to be some good information alright and the more info I have the less wasted time I will experience, I only want the basics for now and just make the wireless connection work for the tablet pc, everything else (both desktop computers, printer, and scanner) will remain wired.

#9 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

MAC address filtering is pretty ineffective anymore as a security measure. MAC address`s can be cloned.

@ 1102. I have no experience with the Android. But doing some reading it would seem that it can be configured to use WPA. This would be the way to go in regards to setting up a secure connection.

Anything less, MAC filtering, WEP, etc. has and can be cracked fairly easily with tools readily available on the Internet.

Thanks for the information on WPA, I haven't yet heard when I can plan on receiving the Android.

#10 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:48 AM

I will say the Android tablet will do what you want it to do and much more.
There are many apps that will allow you to sync your contacts , calender and notes between all your computers and your New tablet together.

As far as the wireless goes and passwords go.....

I have similar situations as you. At work you will use an easy password to log in because its a probably a public wi-fi access.

At home you will be setting it up a bit different, all in all you will probably be using a password Key(a bunch or #'s and Letter's). Once you set it up and connect once.. the Tablet will remember your Home network and connect when your in range.So you wont have to enter a password each time.

Re-post with any problems on the wireless home network, and maybee someone can lead you in the right direction :)

Just a word back about this subject.

The wireless connection was fairly easy to setup, Thanks for the help here. The Augen Gentouch 78 is pretty darn nice for the price, less than $100, it does what I want and more alright. One thing though the manual is sketchy and not enough information so I spent hours trying to figure things out even going to some forums about it, I finally called the company phone in desperation and I was very pleasantly surprised, I was on hold less than a minute, a friendly person came on and answered all my questions explaining the functions and said a new manual will be coming out shortly. Its too bad the manual that comes with the tablet is so inadequate and the website at this time doesn't help much either, its giving the Augen tablet a bad name when it really is pretty good.

#11 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

Glad to hear that you got things working and hopefully , it does what you wanted it too .

If you think about it , please dont forget to add a review from the site that you got your product from. It is very helpfull.

As a general "rule of thumb" if you read lots of reviews on the product before you bought it , you should add a review yourself :)

Edited by BLUEFIRE0424, 25 April 2011 - 09:14 AM.

#12 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

I got the unit from 1saleaday.com, I did read reviews on it but I didn't see any on their site, right now they have a 10.2 Augen notebook but no reviews, I did read some reviews at Amazon.com and they were helpful too so I will go there and give my experience, which is positive. I usually read reviews on products and then sort them out because some just don't make any sense and those I disregard.

Thanks for the tip!

#13 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback on this one...

I am going to check it out as I was looking for a cheap buy :)

#14 1102

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

What is good is its Android 2.1, I've put mine away for now, the one at 1saleaday has a larger screen than mine, mine connects just fine to wireless, its a little slow but works just fine, its the first device like this I've ever had, if you buy I hope you have a good experience with it, I think it varies on expectations, I had none but wanting to use it as a address book, I found an app that works for that purpose. I believe you will be happy enough with it.

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users