Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Build A New System ......questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kirt

Kirt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:45 PM

Hi This is my first post here, I hope you can help.

I'm trying to buy parts for a new gaming rig, But it's been a while, & I havent kept up with all of the technology as well as I should.

1. The ASUS A8N SLI premium mobo I'm looking @ Shows support for SATA & SATA II & also RAID. Does anyone know if the RAID support on this board is for SATA only or for SATA & SATA II, I'd like to run 2 SATA II drive in a raid config.

2. Memory? the mobo shows support for 4 gig of memory & has 4 slots, reading posts & comment on other sites has gotten me a bit confused as to how this works, I've read posts that say the mobo wont utilize more than 2 or 3 gigs of RAM, is this true? or can I run 2 pairs of dual channell 2x1GB & 2x1GB 4GB total

3. Are SATA II drives backwards compatible with SATA I controllers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

1. Ummm.... RAID will work for both SATA & SATA II, but, you're going to need two identical hard drives to use RAID.

2. Most motherboards are like this. Also Windows doesn't do too great of a job of seeing all four gigs.

3. Only one I can think of off hand is my 80GB Hitachi Deskstar.

Edited by welco, 23 December 2005 - 09:35 PM.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#3 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 02:02 AM

Hi This is my first post here, I hope you can help.

I'm trying to buy parts for a new gaming rig, But it's been a while, & I havent kept up with all of the technology as well as I should.

1. The ASUS A8N SLI premium mobo I'm looking @ Shows support for SATA & SATA II & also RAID. Does anyone know if the RAID support on this board is for SATA only or for SATA & SATA II, I'd like to run 2 SATA II drive in a raid config.

2. Memory? the mobo shows support for 4 gig of memory & has 4 slots, reading posts & comment on other sites has gotten me a bit confused as to how this works, I've read posts that say the mobo wont utilize more than 2 or 3 gigs of RAM, is this true? or can I run 2 pairs of dual channell 2x1GB & 2x1GB 4GB total

3. Are SATA II drives backwards compatible with SATA I controllers?

1. Raid will support both SATA and SATAII

2. You wont really benefit from having more than 2 gigs, Windows not only will never use most of this, but anything inside of windows wont. Plus having 2x512 x2 dual channel, will definately give you better speeds than 2x1 x2 dual channel.

3. I believe so, Ill check up again but im pretty sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users