Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move Pagefile.sys % Hiberfil.sys

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

Hey guys:

I just loaded up Windows 7 64-bit onto a OCZ Revo 50gb drive. My Pagefile.sys is 11gb+. Also something called hiberfil.sys is 9gb+. I know when using XP, you could move the pagefile to another hdd. I am wondering if I can do the same with Windows 7? Also, if I can do you think it matters much if I put the pagefile.sys on an ide hd as apposed to an sata hdd?? (Either one of these 2 drives I would like to use will be used for nothing other than the pagefile.sys.)

I don't know what the hiberfil.sys is for, but I am wondering if I can also move that to a different hdd also??

Thanks

Edited by jwmghf, 12 March 2011 - 06:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

1) Feel free to move the pagefile - same as other versions of Windows. It makes no difference where you put it. The speed of today's drives and processors make it irrelevant.

2) hiberfil.sys is hibernation. If you don't use it, disable it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730)

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

hiberfil.sys is for the 'Hibernate' function in Windows 7. It is equal in size to your installed system RAM. I disabled mine because my system never sleeps or hibernates and I needed the space on my 60 GB SSD. My display turns off after 15 minutes but everything else is always ready to go.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/
The Paging file can be moved to a different drive. I placed mine on a separate partition on my backup drive. SATA is faster than IDE, so placing it on a SATA drive is better IMO.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Installing Windows 7 on 50GB drive is not really the best move.
You'll start scrambling for a free space pretty soon.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the quick and excellent responses guys!!! I will move the pagefile.sys and disable the hiberfil.sys pronto!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users