Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G61,will not power up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hello ,I have a friends 14 mnt old HP G61,when plugged in only light that works is one next to the power cord connection,power and charge and hdd led on frot of laptop do not turn on when plugged in .so it does not turn on .
here is what i tried ,removed ,ram /hdd/battery /bios battery ,tried a different power adapter and battery [from my own compaq cq60] same results .
when plugged in [battery removed ] i used a Volt meter and it showed power to the battery connection 14 volts i think ,

it makes no effort to turn on at all /worked one day and not the next ,thank for any help

Edited by caperjac, 12 March 2011 - 05:57 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

Have you checked the power touch switch to be sure it is functioning?

Here is a very useful link from insidemylaptop.com

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-keyboard-compaq-presario-cq61-hp-g61/

Hopefully this will be helpful.

I may be able to locate a service manual for you if you wish me to try.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 caperjac

caperjac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

Have you checked the power touch switch to be sure it is functioning?

Here is a very useful link from insidemylaptop.com

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-keyboard-compaq-presario-cq61-hp-g61/

Hopefully this will be helpful.

I may be able to locate a service manual for you if you wish me to try.

Bruce.

no, never thought of that ,i will take the keyboard off and check it thanks

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

no, never thought of that ,i will take the keyboard off and check it thanks

No problem my friend. :wink:

If you continue having problems, please let me know.

The page I linked you to above, may not have all the information you are looking for, but the site does have a lot of useful information for laptop repair.

Let me know if you run into a dead end, I may be successful in locating an on-line service manual for that laptop that is free of charge to download.

Best of luck to you.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 caperjac

caperjac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

ok took it apart a bit,took off keyboard and what i will call the keyboard bezel the part with the power button .the button has a small board under it screwed on and connects to the motherboard via a small ribbon cable,the board has the switch button /and wireless button and 2 tiny led lights that work ,i manually pushed the button but still nothing .

Edited by caperjac, 12 March 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

I am providing you with a Adobe reader downloadable .PDF document (you can save it to your hard drive) Service Manual for your laptop G61 from Hewlett Packard.

Here is the link, click the little floppy disk in the menu bar to save to a folder on your hard drive.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01868653.pdf

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01740724.pdf

Please let me know after looking through this document if it is providing enough information for you to find the problem and correct it.

If not, I will provide another link.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 March 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

thank you very much for you assistance ,i will read them .

just wanted to add that the little led on the power button board doesn't light up the power button, when keyboard is reinstalled ,the mb may not be getting full power perhaps. i think i will remove bottom and take out the cpu/heatsink & fan tomorrow

Edited by caperjac, 12 March 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:28 AM

Okay, I hope those two manuals will help you with tracing out the problem.

They also list the part numbers, so that will make it easy to find replacement parts if you need them.

Please keep me posted.

Bruce.

#9 caperjac

caperjac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

thanks for all you help ,I cant find anthing causing the problem ,removed everything[and tried parts from my compaq] but the cpu ,and nothing seems to be causing the problem ,using a volt meter i check the power to the board after the power jack connection and it 18v.even took my compaq apart and used its power switch cover ,still nothing ,
if it were mine i would take it completely apart and remove the cpu ,but can affort to replace the laptop if i fugg it up,so i give up.
the hp manual doesn't give and trouble shootin ideas ,just how to's ,like removal of parts ,
thanks again

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

Tried contacting HP?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 caperjac

caperjac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:42 AM

Tried contacting HP?

no,my experience with doing so is never good ,with any tech support .
i'm thinking there must be a bad power regulator or such causing a decrease in power on the board,power to led light ,but not enough to light up the power button ,bad motherboard ! my expertise is limited of course, so its not worth fixing anyway ,and the owner can afford to chuckit and just bu a new one

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:58 AM

Tried contacting HP?

i'm thinking there must be a bad power regulator or such causing a decrease in power on the board,power to led light ,but not enough to light up the power button ,bad motherboard ! my expertise is limited of course, so its not worth fixing anyway ,and the owner can afford to chuckit and just bu a new one

LOL they might as well buy a new one if it is a bad power regulator.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 caperjac

caperjac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

Tried contacting HP?

LOL they might as well buy a new one if it is a bad power regulator.

yeah ,thats what i thought to, trying to contact hp ,hit a roadblock ,online tech support chat only available to laptop still under warranty,support email not available only e-mail for questions before you buy ,phone call could be subject to charge for call ,so guess what that means !!!!

google search is not much help because of the symptoms, power to the board but no led lights on, except the one by the power cord plugin

Edited by caperjac, 14 March 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

You are serious!?!

>Michael 

#15 caperjac

caperjac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

You are serious!?!

very.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&tool=&query=pavilion%20g61-300ca&product=4041450

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users