Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Black screen of Death... sort of

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beldorx

Beldorx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

I've got a similar problem to others, but haven't been able to solve it. It started off with the Vista black screen of death with a moveable cursor. I tried:
- Removing the battery (and power) and holding the power button
- Trying to hit <ctrl><alt><del> and shift multiple times
- Safe mode... frankly I've tried just about any mode but get no different results.
- Pulled the memory one stick at a time

So I pulled out the Vista install disk, but it does the same thing.... after all the files are "loaded", black screen
Then I tried an XP CD (Home and Professional), but both of those blue screen
- Diagnostics seem fine (dell diag cd)

Then I even tried running the install CD without the HDD, and get the same error even then.

However Ubuntu runs fine booting off the cd with no problems.

Oh, and I also tried going into the bios and disabling anything that might be causing a problem (like wireless, etc.)

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2011 - 07:20 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

There might be some damaged files which are preventing the login/welcome screen from appearing. If you can boot into your Windows Vista disk you can try running command prompt and typing in this command:
sfc /scannow
Hopefully it will find any corrupt or bad Windows files and repair them so you don't receive a black screen.

Also, just a reminder, this is the Windows 7 section not the Windows Vista section.

Edited by master131, 13 March 2011 - 12:30 AM.

#3 Beldorx

Beldorx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

The Windows Vista CD fails to load, even if I pull the hard drive. Likewise for Windows XP CDs (tried both home and professional, both blue screen). So I don't think it's a hard drive issue. But Unix boot CD and the Dell diag CD boot fine.

#4 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

This would be probably be the best way to fix the problem - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ (That is, if its something to do with damaged system files). However in this case, the Vista disk fails to boot. Are you currently running 32 or 64-bit? There is a 'recovery disc' available but requires using torrents (aka P2P clients which are not encouraged here) so I'll kindly upload it to DropBox for you.

Edited by master131, 13 March 2011 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users