Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Information

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

I have printed off 4 or 5 tutorials on malware in case I need to use any of these malware tools. I noticed that some of the dates on these tutorials are very old. The date on one tutorial goes back to 2004. Are these tutorial still good to use on the current tools, or are there updated tutorials I don't know about some where?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hard to say without knowing which tutorials you mean.

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

Andrew, I'll give you two tutorials that are dated April 4, 2004: Tutorial148 (Using Adware 2007) and the other one is tutorial147, CWShredder Tutorial (How to remove CoolWebSearch) I think there were others also, but I didn't get the dates on the other ones. Thanks for the reply.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

The CoolWebSearch tutorial is still relevent. AdAware 2007 has been superseded by newer versions of AdWare.

The date of April 4, 2004 at 12:00AM seems to be an error (since, of course, AdAware 2007 didn't exist in 2004.)

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

Andrew, I appreciate your help. However, this website is some what ambiguous for folks who do not use it very often. The site is so large it would take forever to find your way around. Maybe it is just me. I'll try to spend more time here, and hopefully get acclimated to finding things. If I need anything, I'll drop a note in the forum. Thanks again.

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

CWShredder hasn't been updated for ages so i wouldn't recommend that you ran it.
It probably wouldn't run on Vista or Win7 anyway.
MBAM is a much better option and will deal with this malware very easily.

BBPP6nz.png

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Thanks, Starbuck, I appreciate the information. I am just trying to familiar myself within this forum. I am having a little problem in getting eveything sorted out. Maybe it is just me. I don't need to run any of the tools right now, but I would like to prepare myself just in case. I could have used this forum last Nov. when I got that nasty "2009 antivirus" on my computer. I finally had to reformat my windows xp, and start all over again. I had to reformat and restore everything back to factory default last week on one of my friend's computer. Never did figure out what caused that since I could not get the computer to go into windows, safe mode, or any of the 4 or 5 listed items.

#8 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:40 AM

Hi Wayne,

A lot of people tend to use programs like MBAM and SAS, only when they have problems.
And then sometimes they have trouble trying to update them.
Having programs like this 'On demand' is no problem and won't cause any conflicts.
I always keep and copy of each and update them everyday.... even if i don't need them at that time.
One day you may need them and you'll be glad that the definitions are up to date.
Programs like these can be safely run once or twice a week if you want.... just to keep on top of things.

Never did figure out what caused that since I could not get the computer to go into windows, safe mode, or any of the 4 or 5 listed items.

With some malware, a legit file will become infected.
A security program may then take out this infected file, but doesn't replace the original.... sometimes leading to an unbootable system.

BBPP6nz.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

Rather than download a bunch of fix tools which may be outdated, or need to be updated before using, I suggest you look at Prevention.

Common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits is essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. No amount of security software is going to defend against malware infection for those who do not use common sense and practice safe computing.

Security Resources from Microsoft: Other Security Resources: Browser Security Resources:
Simple Ways To Secure Your Privacy:

If your computer has been infected before and you're not sure how that occurred, please read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.

Edited by quietman7, 14 March 2011 - 10:45 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hello!!
I'm way out of my league on this thread, but the best prevention IMHO is to keep a current back up image of your OS with a software of your choice. I prefer Macrium Reflect.I always have a image that I can use to get me back up and running. I keep a back up image on two external USB's and one on my secondary drive. I'm paranoid :hysterical:. I can be back up and running with no infections in a hour or less. I can also recover from a dead HD By installing a new HD and using my linux rescue CD to restore my OS. with Macrium Reflect
I also have Malwarebytes running in real time and Superantispyware on demand. I also use Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner once a month along with ESET on line scanner. If I get infected I will call on the great malware fighters here on BleepingComputers to rescue me.
Not much scares me other than a mother board blow out.
There are some great people here ready to help you. All you need to do is ask.
Thanks BC!! I really appreciate you!!
PS Being a safe surfer is always good advice!!:clapping:

#11 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

Quietman, I agree with you. I have not downloaded anything. I would be hesitant to do that unless I came here first and asked what I needed. I don't know what is out of date, and what is not. I have printed out some of the tutorials to read. I try to practice safe prevention at all times. The last virus I had it popped up on my screen. I clicked on the X, basically to say I did not want what ever they were selling, and the bug downloaded anyway. I found out by reading the forums on BC that when this happens to right click on the IE on the taskbar, and then click on close, or hit the alt key and the F4 which does the same thing. I will be prepared for that the next time. Thank you, quietman.

garybear, you are right in what you are saying. In 12 years since I have been using a computer, I was only shut down once in all that time. Fortunately I had eveything backed up on a DVD so I did note lose anything. It was a real pain to go through the format, and reinstalling all the updates, and my personal items though. I may take you advice one of these days, and get a second USB external drive. Thanks for the post. I would like to see a federal law passed where the virus writers would get time in Federal Prison when, and if they are caught. This would eliminate some of the crap.

#12 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

Hello wayne!!

It was a real pain to go through the format, and reinstalling all the updates, and my personal items though. I may take you advice one of these days, and get a second USB external drive. Thanks for the post. I would like to see a federal law passed where the virus writers would get time in Federal Prison when, and if they are caught. This would eliminate some of the crap.

If you would have had your OS backed up with Macrium Reflect on a USB external drive, you would not have to worry about reformatting and reinstalling all the updates. You could have simply booted your PC with the linux CD and followed the wizard.You would be back just as you were the day you created that image.It's the only way to go my friend. With Macrium you can also mount your image in Windows explorer and copy and paste from it.It will take a little effort on your part to learn this, but it is worth it. I'm 72 years young and I learned and so can you.
You are very welcome friend. I love sharing my limited knowledge with friends :thumbup2:

#13 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

Starbuck, That is a very good idea. Let me ask you a question. Say I wanted to download one of these tools to work on another computer that would not go into windows for some unknown reason. Are these tools standalone tools. Is it possible I could download one of these tool, and burn it to a disk and take it to the computer that won't start? I had a computer recently that would only go to the window where it said, "start computer in normal mode". There were several other items there like, start in safe mode, start in safe mode with networking. I could not get any of these to work, so I had to use the factory format and load the operating system from a section that was set aside for this on the hard drive. The computer I am talking about above was a notebook pc with windows XP. There was not any Microsoft Disc for this computer. Of course, you never get a Microsoft disk anymore when ordering new computers. As we all know, occassionally we need a genuine Micosoft disc in order to troubleshoot at times.

#14 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

garybear, I have you beat by one year. I am 73 years young, and still have all my marbles. Thanks for sharing you knowledge with me.

#15 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

garybear, I have you beat by one year. I am 73 years young, and still have all my marbles. Thanks for sharing you knowledge with me.

You are very welcome my friend. I'm not sure if I have all my marbles :hysterical: I will be 73 ( 4-8-38)
Some times it takes myself and my wife both to carry on a conversation.
I have silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my rear, and enough natural gas to supply Oklahoma City.:lmao:

Edited by garybear, 14 March 2011 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users