Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway notebook boots to black screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 jab070

jab070

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

My neighbor brought over her computer this morning saying that she is unable to boot up her computer. After pushing the power button, the DOS looking window pops up that says we can push F2 for Setup but then goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor (for about 3 blinks) and then goes completely black.

We've tried to boot in safe mode, but we still get the same black screen.

The computer is a Gateway notebook with an Atom mobile processor and Windows XP Home installed.

Apparently there had been a virus on the machine that she had cleaned off. They had issues with Internet Explorer failing to bring up a web page on their primary account, but when we created a new account, IE worked just fine. She successfully used the computer for about 24 hours and is now having this "black screen" problem.

Any help would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Have you checked the Gateway support page...for any data relative to similar problems?

System model?

What makes you think...that the system is now clean...if IE was not functioning properly...after stated "cleaning"?

Louis

#3 jab070

jab070
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

I haven't been able to find anything on the Gateway support page. The model is a LT2016U.

I have no idea if the machine really was clean after the virus was "removed". This was done by someone else and I'm not sure how to check that...especially at this point.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

I will ask for assistance, placing this topic on our Unbootable Computers thread. Someone should make insquiries soon :).

Louis

#5 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

Hello, jab070.
My name is etavares and I will be helping you with this log.

Here are some guidelines to ensure we are able to get your machine back under your control.

• Please do not run any unsupervised scans, fixes, etc. We can work against each other and end up in a worse place.
  • Please subscribe to this topic if you have not already done so. Please check back just in case, as the email system can fail at times.
  • Just because your machine is running better does not mean it is completely cleaned. Please wait for the 'all clear' from me to say when we are done.
  • Please reply within 3 days to be fair to other people asking for help.
  • When in doubt, please stop and ask first. There's no harm in asking questions!

Step 1

To get started, I have a couple of questions.

• Do you have access to a working computer and a USB flash drive we can use?
  • It sounds like you can access the Windows Boot Menu? E.g. Safe mode, Safe mode with command prompt, etc? Can you please confirm?
  • Do you know what virus was on this computer?

etavares

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hello, just letting you know I moved this topic to Here in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logss forum where it will stay.

Please remember to click the Watch Topic button at the top right so you do not miss any replies now that you were moved.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hi, do you still need help?

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#8 jab070

jab070
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I no longer have the computer in my hands, so I won't be able to work on it.

#9 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users