Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Flash Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 awhitecar

awhitecar

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

I had a Windows XP machine that was going berserk.. freezing up.. not allowing malware scans.. I reformatted the disk and reinstalled the OS and ran through Microsoft Updates. Once I installed Security Essentials for Anti-Virus blocking it began to do the same stuff. This has lead me to believe that the machine may have a BIOS virus or at the very least the BIOS is corrupted. I am now attempting to see if I can flash the BIOS to try to fix. To do this for this particular machine I had to create a boot floppy as a MS-Dos startup disk. My problem is that when I attempt to unzip the bios update to the floppy disk I get this error: Can't create output file: A:\BIOSupdt.bat. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2011 - 12:39 PM.
Merged topic from XP forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 awhitecar

awhitecar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

I have formatted a floppy disk as an MS-DOS Startup Disk. When I attempt to unzip a BIOS update to the floppy disk I get the following error in Windows: Can't create output file: A:\BIOSupdt.bat

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

I had a Windows XP machine that was going berserk.. freezing up.. not allowing malware scans.. I reformatted the disk and reinstalled the OS and ran through Microsoft Updates. Once I installed Security Essentials for Anti-Virus blocking it began to do the same stuff. This has lead me to believe that the machine may have a BIOS virus or at the very least the BIOS is corrupted. I am now attempting to see if I can flash the BIOS to try to fix. To do this for this particular machine I had to create a boot floppy as a MS-Dos startup disk. My problem is that when I attempt to unzip the bios update to the floppy disk I get this error: Can't create output file: A:\BIOSupdt.bat. Thanks in advance for any help.

a bad bios update could render the motherboard useless,only update bios if it fixes a known issue ,
did you check and make sure the computers fans was clean of dust and not just over heating ,also the hdd could be getting hot ,open case and feel aound for items overheating ,check video cards fan if you have a video card

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Are you following specific instructions for updating your BIOS...or just winging it?

If following instructions, please provide a link.

What makes you think that a BIOS update...is the correct step to take?

Louis

#5 awhitecar

awhitecar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

Here's link to the BIOS update instructions http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-8528-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=215492&sw_lang=&os=228&key=null&site=null

Decided to go in this direction as it was the only way I could find to remove a possible BIOS virus.

To open the computer case and check for hot items and dust, is there a particular way to go about this? However, I don't think its that though because I had ran it for several hours installing Microsoft Updates and then Security Essentials with no problems. The computer was off for several hours and then when I turned it on I noticed that Security Essentials was not started. I tried rebooting a couple times to see if it would fix and it began to go bezerk and freeze up as mentioned. Plus, I understand that anti-virus software getting disabled is a telltale sign of a virus, and since I had already tried disk reformat and OS clean install..

Edited by awhitecar, 12 March 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hello I downloaded your file LOND312.EXE from HP's web site.

When you formatted the floppy disk in MS-DOS did you remove the files from the floppy before adding the files from LOND312.EXE?

Formatting a disk to be boot-able leaves other files on the disk, you need to remove those DOS related files from the floppy disk.

You may have to have XP setup to show hidden files and folders to see those files, if they are there, just delete them, do not format the disk.

Bruce
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users