Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless LAN causing Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hannahsol

Hannahsol

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

I'm currently using a Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (Service pack 2) with an Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter.
Over the last few weeks I've been having trouble with my computer Blue Screening and shutting down at irregular intervals while I'm using it. Unfortunately the blue screen only flashes up for a second or two before turning the computer off so I have little chance to read what it is telling me.

I've been trying to sort it out with various methods explained online- I've cleaned my registry plenty of times and have become aware that the problem usually happens whenever I have "WLAN" enabled. Some googling revealed to me that this is quite common. I went to the Atheros website to see if they had any updates for my wifi adapter that could stop my issues. The Atheros Hardware Helper told me that I had to download "15 Critical Driver Updates" and when I opt to fix this, it requires me to register the program (costing me $26 that I really don't have.)

Can you suggest any other ways to stop the blue screen of death from killing my computer? Preferably without having to spend any cash.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

I've cleaned my registry

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

==============================================================================================

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Is this desktop, or laptop?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Hannahsol

Hannahsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

It's a laptop.
I didn't realise that registry cleaners were bad news- I used CCleaner from Piriform as i was instructed to do so on other websites. The first time i used it, i did back up the registry files that it deleted. Thank you for your advice. I shall do what you suggest and report back with the details.

Edited by Hannahsol, 12 March 2011 - 01:55 PM.

#4 Hannahsol

Hannahsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

==================================================
Dump File : Mini031111-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/03/2011 15:57:51
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : 0x0000049c
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0xd1483ba7
Caused By Driver : athr.sys
Caused By Address : athr.sys+80ba7
File Description : Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Product Name : Driver for Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter
Company : Atheros Communications, Inc.
File Version : 7.3.1.25 built by: WinDDK
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031111-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 138,408

Dump File : Mini030111-01.dmp
Crash Time : 01/03/2011 22:00:32
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : 0x0000049c
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x8e082ba7
Caused By Driver : athr.sys
Caused By Address : athr.sys+80ba7
File Description : Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Product Name : Driver for Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter
Company : Atheros Communications, Inc.
File Version : 7.3.1.25 built by: WinDDK
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini030111-01.dmp
Dump File Size : 138,408

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

CCleaner is a very fine tool, as long, as you don't use registry part.

As you suspected, most likely, you need to reinstall your wifi driver.

What's your computer brand and model?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Hannahsol

Hannahsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

It's a Compaq Presario A900 Notebook PC (Product number: FL547EA#ABU).
According to Intel's system identification utility, it is also manufactured by Hewlett-Packard; model 30ED.

Edited by Hannahsol, 12 March 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

Download fresh driver from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-62508-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=2093&product=3641176&sw_lang=
Uninstall current wireless driver.
Install fresh one.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Hannahsol

Hannahsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

Thank you so much for your help. It all seems to be OK now (although those pesky blue screens are unpredictable). I've been able to leave the WLAN on for more than half an hour now so hopefully it's all resolved.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

Very good :)
Keep me updated....

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Hannahsol

Hannahsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Alright! I'm back.
Irritatingly enough, while watching an episode of Family Guy about an hour ago the computer shut down without showing me any blue screen. When I turned it back on it told me that the computer had suffered a 'fatal error' and asked if i wanted to find out why. When i did this it ran a scan and showed me that an error had happened (0x00000000 0x00000000 or some such similar message.) It took about 4 attempts to get the computer to turn on normally without going through all the 'fatal error' rubbish.
This time, when turned on, it shows me an error message from Microsoft to tell me that it had unexpectedly shut down (!) and then i get a message from Norton telling me that it had suffered an internal error.

Now I'm just backing up my files and seriously considering either taking this computer to a PC store and letting them sort it out and footing the bill or just getting a new laptop since this one seems far too uncooperative.

Do you have any other suggestions? I'm not really hoping for miracles at this point.

#11 Hannahsol

Hannahsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

I just ran the Blue Screen View program again, and did as i did before. The new readings from that are:

Dump File : Mini031311-01.dmp
Crash Time : 13/03/2011 17:17:40
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc000021a
Parameter 1 : 0x93054c00
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0xc0000001
Parameter 4 : 0x0010052c
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+cdb3f
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6002.18327 (vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031311-01.dmp
Dump File Size : 134,856

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

Well, we have only one BSOD and it involves system file (ntkrnlpa.exe), so it could be anything, or just nothing, if it won't happen again.
Let me know, if it happens again.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users