Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Howdy,

My keyboard stopped working this morning.( I am using my laptop now) I checked the connection to my PC and it is fine. I rebooted but that was no help.

Just prior to the problem I would get a screen regarding Microsoft Narrator. The screen referenced settings from text to speech, etc;. I had no idea there was such a function in XP Home never mind turning it on.Apparently it is for those visually impaired. I tried to exit from the program several times but it would pop up every time I tried to type on the keyboard. I finally clicked on 'do not show this screen again'. Now I get nothing when I try to use the keyboard.

I am not sure if the above program is my problem or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis :) XP Home, IE-8, SP

Edit: I figured out how to exit narrator. The keyboard still does not work.

Edited by Dennis H, 12 March 2011 - 08:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Forgive a silly question, but have you tried a different keyboard? Or try the keyboard you have with a different system. Let's rule out the obvious first.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

I don't have another keyboard. There is no compatible place to plug it in on my laptop.

Dennis

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

If you're not able to follow up on Allan's suggestion, you might as well just get a new keyboard and try again. They are rather inexpensive.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

Does the keyboard work in safe mode? If not, you need to try a new keyboard. If it does, then some software loading with the system is causing the problem. If it DOES work in safe mode, do this:

Open msconfig and choose selective startup (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. However, if the problem continues even with the first selective startup it's possible we're looking at a hardware related issue.

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

It worked in Safe Mode and it is now working in normal mode.

I think there is a short in a wire though. Here is why. Before I booted in safe mode I unplugged it from my PC. When I plugged it back in the green light that normally lights up under 'num lock' went out as if the keyboard was not getting power. I booted in safe mode and the green light came on for a second and than went out. The keyboard worked though. I booted to normal mode and the light is out yet the keyboard is working.

I think I will just go buy a new one.

I originally posted thinking that the Microsoft Narrator program messed it up when I booted the computer this morning.

Speaking of that, I wonder why that turned itself on ?

Thanks for the help !!!

Dennis :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users