Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSCONFIG Access Denied error was returned...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Dawgmom

Dawgmom

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

Hi. I've attempted to make changes to the startup programs using MSCONFIG and got: "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service access. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

I have a Dell with Win XP Media Center Edition, SP3. I've search a bit and know that I don't have the HP printer issue. When I searched for the msconfig.exe file - I've attached a screen shot - well, I just think it's strange but have no idea what I'm looking at. So, it could be fine. I just wanted to mention it.

I hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

I have a Dell with Win XP Media Center Edition, SP3. I've search a bit and know that I don't have the HP printer issue

I am sorry if I missed something here - What is the HP printer issue that you do not mention in detail ? ?

I just think it's strange but have no idea what I'm looking at.

Do you recall ANY of the changes that you made with MSCONFIG commands ? ?
4 lines in a screen shot do not mean much unless you can post more information about the actual problems -
Chances are that you have made alterations to Start Up that now require an Admin log on -

Thank You -

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Services and startup items should not be managed with msconfig. Msconfig is a diagnostic utility. To manage services go to START - RUN and enter: services.msc (press enter).

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

When you say you don't have the HP printer issue, do you mean you do NOT have an HP printer? If you don't have an HP printer, has there ever been one used with the computer?

Did you click APPLY then if another message appeared, click OK?

noknojon, there is an issue caused by HP printers/all in ones that will give one Access Denied when using msconfig.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 March 2011 - 09:27 AM.

#5 Dawgmom

Dawgmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi. So sorry. I thought I had posted a response earlier - but I don't see it???

Anyway, Re: the printer... I don't have the registry keys/model in this article: http://www.pchell.com/support/msconfig_access_denied_error.shtml, which is something I found before coming here.

Re: the image... I just thought it was strange to have several msconfig.exe files and wondered if something was modified by an infection??

Re: using msconfig... I used Run > msconfig > Startup tab > and unticked Sandiebox to stop it from loading at start up. (I'm really sorry if that's wrong, but that's how I've done it before.) This time when I clicked apply, I got the error. I clicked OK (in the error message), then OK on the config window, and then I got the usual restart/exit without restart option. It lets me untick and stays that way after reboot but I don't understand the error.

I've run Eset online and there's nothing showing up.

The only other thing I can say is that I recently installed Oracle VirtualBox so that I can run Joomla on my PC. Maybe it's something to do with that???

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

The fact that you've done it before doesn't make it right. Again, msconfig should not be used to manage startup items. Use a dedicated, simple app like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

#7 Dawgmom

Dawgmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

Look, I apologized. I get that you know more than me, but please. I came for help and you've made your point. Thank you.

Edited by Dawgmom, 12 March 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

I'm not sure why you're upset. I was trying to give you the correct app to do what you want to do. If it sounded as though I was criticizing you I apologize, I was not.

Edited by Allan, 12 March 2011 - 04:17 PM.

#9 Dawgmom

Dawgmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks. Getting the application might be the best way to go in the future but if anyone else has an idea of whether there's another problem, conflict, or infection... please?

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

Allan is correct, but let's try to investigate the issue...

Does the error happen only in case of checking/un-checking Sandboxie?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 Dawgmom

Dawgmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

Thanks. No. I've also ticked and unticked Daemon Tools Lite. Same thing.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Restart computer in Safe Mode and see, if same issues happens.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#13 Dawgmom

Dawgmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

Okay. I tried as myself and as administrator (I never sign in under that) and yes, same thing happens. Also, when I went to boot in Safe Mode I noticed that when it displays the selection options to load (Media Center Edition, Recovery Console) it also says "do not select this [debugger enabled]" - that doesn't seem right. I've never seen that before.

Edited by Dawgmom, 12 March 2011 - 05:12 PM.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

I noticed that when it displays the selection options to load (Media Center Edition, Recovery Console)

Nothing wrong with it. To the contrary, every XP computer should have Recovery Console installed.
It's an important troubleshooting tool.

Let me dig little bit more on your main issue....

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

What AV program/firewall do you use?

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users