Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java,Firefox,QuickTime, and FB Chat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

I am having Sound Message Issues, No Alert Sound that there is a Message that came in,

so this and when I am chatting the sound does not work, I checked the options and the
Play sound for new messages is on, . .

So I checked my Java update and I have Java 22 Firefox version 3.6.15
I went to Java updates and the Update is 24, . . Should I update ?

Also I did not download the plug in that FB signals at times during Chat use.

I am believing that it is a QuickTime plugin

I did try the Quicktime Alternative and could not get any results I uninstalled it.

Can you tell me do I need the Java 24 and should I D/L QkTm ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Yes, you should always update Java to prevent malware exploits. Since you missed the Update 23 you will
need to go to Add/ Remove programs and uninstall update 22 after installing 24.

Assuming you are asking about Facebook Chat, there is a help page to assist you in
deciding which chat client and how to install each chat client.
Facebook Chat | Facebook
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Yes, you should always update Java to prevent malware exploits. Since you missed the Update 23 you will need to go to Add/ Remove programs and uninstall update 22 after installing 24.

Buddy, I don't get it, . . your saying to uninstall 22 after installing 24,
so where will 21 , ____, 23, be when this step is taken ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

If you have other older versions of Java, delete them, too. Delete all versions except the latest....24.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

OK I have installed Java Thanks !

But I am still not getting the message signal sound when I get a message, I downloaded Quictime, that took hrs, still nothing, it bothered me a little and I un-installed it,
I have skpe and some other instant messengers software's, I am going to search for and un-install next, before un-installing Skype which will be my last un-install since I am using it.

But if you have any ideas, please, . . let me know .

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

Maybe the info in the link below will help you.
Facebook Chat Options -- Chat on Facebook

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:56 PM

I visited that page and was not able to see or find anything that will clearly solve this, and from what help I received from FB, they said there still working on it.

Personally, I think an individual that has amassed a 50 billion dollar fortune of profit,

would be happy to develop a software for its customer clients and users, . . that would detect the type of browser they are using and scan the variety of software variable's that would enable the problem to be solved.

Which goes to show one, that there probably is a profit motive to the negligence this
internet company dishes out to its users.

Edited by Jove, 06 April 2011 - 11:58 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:59 AM

What addons do you have in Firefox?

Have you used IE browser to see if the no alert sound problem occurs there, too?

Which chat program(s) do you want to use? Which one are you using?

Some things I cannot check because I don't have a Facebook account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users