Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2012 is it real?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Alumar

Alumar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

There are scientific and superstisious explanation regarding this phenomenon, with the events that has occured, the 8.9 magnitude quake Japan and before that in Chile and with the war going on with the middle eastern countries.

Post your opinion about this..should we pack our bags and go under ground?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

1) Natural disasters happen all of the time, and have happened throughout history. According to the USGS, there are more than an estimated 1.3 million earthquakes a year.
2) Wars have been waged for thousands of years. Open any history book.
3) Doomsday prophesies have probably existed as long as civilization.
4) How much protection is an underground bunker against a 9.5 magnitude earthquake or a flood?
5) The earth is no more likely to be destroyed on some arbitrary date than it is today or tomorrow.
6) 2012 is a whole number. It is an even number. Factors of 2012 include 2,3,4,6,8. Nothing mysterious about it at all.

EDIT:
7) There is no scientific basis for any of this. All you really have is superstition.

Edited by groovicus, 12 March 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

*Groovicus said*

2) Wars have been waged for thousands of years. Open any history book.

I'll save you some time:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

Dude! That was freakin' cool.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

should we pack our bags and go under ground?
I'm prepared :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

Have you guys heard about the Mayan calendar? they made a calender but it's only up to December 21, 2012 and their tribe were wiped out instantly with no tracks.

I'm thinking that they were not wiped, they just went home.. :blink:

Edited by Alumar, 12 March 2011 - 06:24 PM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

Ok, let me point out an obvious fact here. The mayans, didn't have computers. They carved their calender, by hand, out of rock. Doing that, takes a lot of work, a lot of time, and you cant keep doing it forever. I sincerely doubt it stops because thats what they thought the end of the world was, chances are thats just as far as they got, before A: something caused them to stop (like maybe invading tribe killed off all the people making it or they moved on) or B: they just got bored/tired of making it, figured the calender was so far ahead that none of them would be around then anyway, and there would be plenty of time for their ancestors to continue the calender if need be. Which, we have just made new calenders, Just open up your computers for crying out loud. Common sense here people, the mayans, as a culture, dont really exist anymore-there is no way a culture that has died out (yes, there are still mayan ancestors and mayans alive, but as a culture, its dead) repeat, no way, a dead culture, can continue making a calender. so is 2012 real? well there is a year with that number. As far as the end of the world is concerned? pfffft people have been predicting the end of the world for eons. I mean seriously, we were all supposed to die january first, 2000.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

Good point there the_patriot11. :thumbsup:
I have heard of that also that the world will end on 2000 yet we are still here.
All of these disasters and wars and just mere coincedence, those countries in the middle east stood up their ground to end 20 or 30 years of dictatorship, Tiunisha did it why can't they.
The fact that Japan is lying above the pacific Ring of belt (fault line) will explain the quake, Japanese are well aware of this for them to build Quake proof buildings but the an 8.9 magnitude quake is to much.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

It doesn't actually work that way.
It's not like Mayan kept carving some tablets to make a stack of calendar years going hundred of years ahead.
We don't print calendars for more than one year ahead either.

It seems to be some misconception regarding year 2012.
Mayan calendar doesn't actually end there.
It's only the end of so called "Great Cycle", which started on August 11th 3114BC and ends on December 21st (not 31st) 2012.
Then, new "Great Cycle" starts.
More info: http://www.greatdreams.com/2012.htm

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 Marvz

Marvz

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

Post your opinion about this..should we pack our bags and go under ground?
[/quote]

You can build an arc instead.. :thumbsup:
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, Processor: Phenom II X4 955, Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD RAM: 8 Gb DDR3, Storage: 1 TB WD, GPU: ASUS ATI 4890 and Saphire 4890 in crossfire, Sound card: Asus Xonar D1, PSU: Cooler Master 750 w , Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000

#11 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

lol..i remembered the Joke I have read in Funny bone2

Check #129

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic80098.html/page__st__120

#12 Marvz

Marvz

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

Yeah.. it will take you 10 years for that.. But don't worry China is already making one. God made mankind but everything else is made from China. :hysterical:

Edited by Marvz, 12 March 2011 - 07:23 PM.

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, Processor: Phenom II X4 955, Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD RAM: 8 Gb DDR3, Storage: 1 TB WD, GPU: ASUS ATI 4890 and Saphire 4890 in crossfire, Sound card: Asus Xonar D1, PSU: Cooler Master 750 w , Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000

#13 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

Going back to the topic..I bet the death toll is now up to thousands excluding the ones that has been buried under ground or has been flushed together with the flood and rubbles. Is there any step made by the US to address or lend a hand? :mellow:

#14 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

2012, give me a break

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

I think that this is much more worrying to the World, particularly those in the Pacific Ocean Area.

In a race against time, Japanese officials have launched an unprecedented scheme to cool a dangerously crippled nuclear reactor with sea water while rescue workers battle devastation to locate some of the more than 10,000 unaccounted for following Friday's monster earthquake and tsunami.

Authorities now say the number 3 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi number 1 plant has failed, the second at the nuclear facility still reeling from an explosion yesterday.

"All the functions to keep cooling water levels in No. 3 reactor have failed at the Fukushima No. 1 plant," a spokesman for the operator said.

US nuclear experts warn that pumping sea water to cool a quake-hit Japanese nuclear reactor is an "act of desperation" that may foreshadow a Chernobyl-like disaster, AFP reports.

Link to it

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/japan-attempts-to-cool-nuclear-reactor/story-e6freon6-1226020539837

What our Faters and Grand Fathers did may well come back to haunt us all?

Forget about 2012 and worry about now, think about how you could handle Nuclear Fallout, it could possible come to any Country in the Pacific Ocean Area if Those Reactors Fail. Remember that there are TWO at risk of meltdown.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 12 March 2011 - 11:25 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users