Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows won't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Liisa

Liisa

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a HUGE problem.

I had a user with a google redirect problem. Left it for months and never said anything to me, until just recently. I've had nothing but issues with trying to remove this, and it usually ends up in a reformat... yay me.. Oh well, I don't mind that sometimes.

I ran Malwarebytes, which I use quite often when my AV software doesn't have success in removing the issue. It detected some things, and removed them... still being redirected.

Anyways, I have a friend who had told me to try hitman pro, which works EVERY time.... yeah, last time I listen to a friend.

I ran hitman pro, and it wanted me to replace some system files using the CD, I chose ignore them, and delete one other entry.
Restarted the computer, and I ran to get the windows disc, just in case.... To my surprise, it was looping and looping and looping. I can't get into windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking. UGH!!!

So, I throw in the disc, boot to recovery console, and try to run a chkdsk /r.. the volume contains one or more unrecoverable errors.. FML.
I'm starting to panic... I can't do a dir of C: for some reason...
Think think think.... think think think.
It's a Lenovo computer... Go into rescue and recovery.. Here's where I totally should have gone with my gut, but I stupidly didn't.
I can go into rescue and recovery, and select to browse files. I could totally put in a flash drive, and copy the outlook.pst folder, and whatever documents needed for this user.... I don't want to reinstall windows. So, I figure there's a problem with the boot sector... makes sense to this guy. (or girl in my case)
So, off to recovery console again.. fixboot... fix mbr.
Reboot, fingers crossed... Invalid partition table. I puke in my mouth a little..
WHAT?! Never in my life have I had a fixboot and fix mbr eat my partition as a snack.

So... Here I am. I think, I'll try a parallel install of windows (yeah, bad I know)
La la la, windows setup, install windows... it gets to the partition part.. Unpartitioned space... my heart has sunken into my toes. I feel sick, and not sure what to do. It just wants to format.. NO way!!

I get back into recovery console, and now I can do a dir of C: to see some stuff... I can't run a chkdsk anything...
I really REALLY don't want to lose the stuff... and I know that I am going to have to reinstall windows now.
I'm going to take it with me, and see if I can connect it to another computer through USB and pull the info, then do a fresh windows install...

But, I'm hoping someone might have some advice for me, other than not to listen to a friend and then ignore my gut.

Do you think I can fix it without reinstalling, or am I up sh*t creek without a paddle and my arms tied behind my back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

Well...you seem to be overlooking the obvious, IMO.

<<...the volume contains one or more unrecoverable errors...>>

When I see that message, I do two things, in rather quick order:

a. Run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long test, not short test) on the drive. I don't worry about saving/moving data files because I have backups.

b. If the long diagnostic reflects no problems...I then delete the existing partition...and install Windows anew. Since the hard drive diag says that the drive itself is OK, I must have something wrong with my partition/file system structures...and I don't know how to repair what may not be repairable.

There are tools which stipulate that they can correct such problems...I prefer not to experiment with any more of such (none ever worked for me) and just get on with the job of getting Windows operational again.

Those smarter than I may be able to direct you to some procedures other than mine...I just try not to waste too much time when things go wrong :) and I don't think of reinstalling Windows as a catastrophic event.

Let's see what others think :).

Louis

#3 Liisa

Liisa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

I totally should have just backed everything up and reinstalled when I had that option... Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm pretty sure it's done...
I was just hoping someone might have an idea on how to recover the outlook folder from it.
:(

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

You should still be able to pull the drive, toss it in the enclosure and pull the files.

After that I would follow up with Louis`s suggestion of running the hard drive diagnostic test.

But my guess is you are looking at replacing the drive.

#5 Liisa

Liisa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

I have the drive attached to my computer, using a sata to usb cable.

It's bad.
It's a 160gb drive, and when I go to my computer, it shows Local Disk F: 2.58mb free of 10.1mb.
(I have a drive E:, which is an external I have)
If I go into disk management though, it shows that it's a 149gb drive...

*sigh*
Some days I hate computers... lol

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

So what you are saying is you are unable to access the drive contents(?).

#7 Liisa

Liisa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

Exactly...
Well, I do have 2 files that I can see.
Bootex
OSLANG U.S

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

There are some free programs that may assist in recovering the data.

Recuva is recommended a lot and has had decent success for some Members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users