Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

after installing anti-virus computer locks up

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 disnyintns

disnyintns

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

Dell Vostro computer belongs to a client who originally complained because it was SLOW. Computer is about 3 years old and running Windows XP Home. When I checked it out Slow was an understatement. It crawled, sometimes taking several minutes for a single execution. A new version of McAfee had downloaded. It kept flashing alerts because it kept turning off. We'd turn it on and in a few minutes it was off. She has Ghost backing up the computer weekly so I took the computer and recovered from the last backup. Everything was fine until McAfee updated again, then Windows locked up. I reloaded again and removed McAfee. I then made a restore point while everything was working. I installed Free AVG 2011. After the reboot the system locked up. When I speak of lock up I mean the cursor moves but nothing works. Depending on the last action, the cursor changes to an hourglass when moved over that portion of the screen. It could be a right click on the start bar, or clicking on Manage from my computer or double clicking an application. The systems only last for about 2 minutes after reboot from the anti-virus install. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work either. Restarting requires a hard boot using the power button. In between each install I reload back to the restore point when the computer acts fine. Applications work fine with no lock-ups. I have tried different Anti-virus programs, Free AVG 2011, Free AVG ver. 9, Trial version (paid) AVG, Trial version Kaspersky. Everyone does the same thing. Also before one of the Ghost recoveries I reformatted the hard drive using the Windows installation CD. Let Windows install and then recovered with Ghost. It is the behavior of the anti-virus that makes me suspect an infection but I can't find it. Malwarebytes runs fine and finds nothing, when the computer is working. Once I even got AVG to run a scan before locking up and it found nothing. Before adding Anti-virus I have also deleted temp files, done disk cleanup, defrag and other house cleaning tasks. The only other option I can think of is to go back to factory install with the CDs. I hate to do this because it is so time consuming reloading all the drivers and software and then recovering her data. Considering how much time I've already spent this may be the best option. Sorry this post is so long. Any thoughts of what I should do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users