Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newly formatted computer still freezing up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amdibble

amdibble

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hello, this is my first post here. I am posting about my fiancées computer. It appears to be a custom build, though I am not sure by whom. It is at least 3 years old now. The computer started freezing in January, but apparently only after it was connected to internet. Then it started freezing at random times. When frozen it does not respond to anything from the mouse or the keyboard and I have to restart the machine manually. Following this issue, I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7, but the hardware wasn't quite up to Windows 7 capabilities, so I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP (it was running XP when it initially started freezing). Both when running Windows 7 and now running Windows XP after a clean format install it continues to freeze. This suggests to me that the issue must be in the hardware. Does this sound correct? How can I trouble shoot hardware issues? We are currently living in rural Guatemala, so calling in the local IT guy is not really an option. Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

When a computer freezes up, there are one of two issues that are causing it.

Issue number one. A bad driver.

Issue number two. Dust build up in the computer is causing internal hardware to over heat.

I would go with issue number two first.

In a lot of cases when a computer starts freezing up there is in most cases dust embedded in the heat sink fins preventing the heat from escaping.
The solution in this case is to open the computer up and check for dust in both the processor heat sink and the video card heat sink if it has one.

Check all cooling fans for signs of dust.

Dust acts like an insulator and prevents the heat sinks from distributing the heat into the air by way of the cooling fan.

You should use caution anytime you enter the inside of the computer case, your body has enough stored electrical energy to zap the sensitive electronics inside the computer case. To discharge this energy, you should first unplug the computer from the AC power, touch the computer case first, this equalizes your energy with the computers.

Inspect all heat sinks and cooling fans for dust.

Please click this link for further information.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

If this does not help, you may need to see if there are newer more updated drivers available for your hardware, but I have a feeling dust is your major reason for the system freeze ups you are experiencing.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users