Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your computer was unable to start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

Just a few weeks back, my wife and I got new computers. I got a desktop, she got a laptop, both Dells... though we planned on NOT doing this, we bought them at walmart.

When we got home with them, and I went to set up her laptop, I noticed, the tape on the box had been broken. It said right on it, if the tape is broken, make sure that everything is inside...
Well, I went through it. Everything was for sure inside.... Everything looked great... still had protective plastic you peel off of certain surfaces...
So, I went ahead with setup. Had never been setup before. Everything looked good.

During the next few days, every time I would go into control panel, for the first time that session, it would lock up windows explorer. I'd close it, reopen it, and everything would work fine. After some searching on the net, determined it was a Dell thing. Dell's wlan utility. Once that was gone and the drivers reinstalled WITHOUT the utility, everything worked fine...

To the issue at hand...

On several occasions it has stated that windows was not shut down properly, even though this is not true.
Doesn't happen often... but what is worse is that today, for the second time since we bought it, it is saying that
"your computer was unable to start
Startup repair is checking your system for problems...
After which another thing pops up asking if we want to use system restore...

Last time, we canceled. It would not get into windows. We shut it down... turned it back on a minute later, and it seemed as if nothing had happened. Everything was running fine again, for a while.
But, it is on the screen right now.
This computer is new and should NOT be acting like this.
Returning things is a hassle both in that companies are quite reluctant to take things back and in that I'm not in the mood to get all her new data off that she's saved, and then find a new laptop, and then setup a new laptop, etc...

If this is how it's going to be, and there's little I can do, then we will of course have to contact Dell about it.
But, I figured while I was already on here, I might as well see if anyone has any thoughts on the matter... causes? anything?

I can really only handle dealing with one frustrating computer at a time... and I'm in the process of working on a friend's computer that is giving me headaches already...
sigh.... where's the sledge hammer?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

What a frustrating situation.

What have you installed in the process of setting this computer up?

Did this happen before you finished setting up this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Initial setup didn't take horribly long. There were no obvious or noticeable issues during that process.
Since then I have installed several programs. firefox, CCleaner, several small educational kids games, Avast, and likely a few other things. Can't think of anything major.

What's weird is that, it doesn't happen often.
A few times it said windows was not shut down properly, which we know for fact wasn't true. It shuts down just fine(at least as far as how it appears to be) each time. We have not had to force any shut downs and we have not had the power go out on it.
The other times, which happened today, only the second time as far as I know... it said it couldn't start windows.
It's weird in that it isn't a regular occurrence and I really couldn't guess as to what precipitated the problem... not entirely sure precipitated is the word I was looking for but, I'm not stopping to think about it. :)
Each time we tell it to NOT restore. It looks like it's working for a while, then it says that startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Send or don't send info about this problem...
We end up rebooting and things work fine from there... Well, I'm about to go do that now, we'll see.........
Oh first... show problem details...

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 12
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Okay... this time, boot before this I was testing Ubuntu from a cd. I had to test it on a computer besides my friends because I was having trouble with it, and I needed to check that the cd was the problem, not his computer, or the other way around actually...
Booted ubuntu with no issues, shut it down with not issues...
And, it didn't say anything, this time, about it shutting down being a problem... it was simply, it could not startup.
Last time this happened, which was a week or two ago(my memory, especially with time, is horrible but it was at least a week ago if not more), I had not done any such thing beforehand. So, I can't say that running ubuntu had nothing to do with it... but, it sure wasn't the cause as far as I'm concerned...

Shut it down... now turning it back on....
Yep... just went right into windows with no issues at all.......
I'm stumped... What on earth would cause such random and intermittent issues?
And...
Is there something I can do about it or is it time to call Dell?
I have a feeling that now, weeks later, we couldn't just walk into walmart and expect an exchange or refund... so, I would assume Dell would be who to talk to. I did manage to register her laptop online a week or so ago, with Dell...

Anyway...
Any thoughts? Need any more details? Just let me know.
Thanks...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

My first thought is to give Walmart a call and see what they have to say about this. They may just tell you to bring it back and they will exchange it. You can always uninstall what you have already installed, so you could take it back to them in the condition in which you received it.

Are you getting any blue error screens, BSODs?

One thing that you can try would be to run chkdsk /r.

Open the Start Menu.

In the white line (Start Search) area, type cmd

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.

Or

Open the Start Menu.

In the white line (Start Search) area, type cmd

Right click on cmd, click on Run as administrator.

NOTE: To open a regular non-elevated command prompt window, just click on cmd instead.

Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.

2. In the command prompt, type in chkdsk / r You can copy and paste this if that is easier.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Had to wait til my wife was done on the computer... then I tried starting it but it said something was in use, that I could have it run next restart. I selected that, and then restarted the computer.
It ran, took a LONG time so I went to lay down for a few... I heard the windows startup sound so, I missed the end of the scan... Maybe the results are in a log file somewhere? I'll look around.

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

Found it... Looks like a few things were cleaned up... unused index entries? But, no bad sectors are mentioned that I can see. Not sure if this will show anyone anything that would have anything to do with the issue at hand but, here it is...

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk. 

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
  93184 file records processed.  
File verification completed.
  144 large file records processed.  
0 bad file records processed.    
0 EA records processed.    
44 reparse records processed.  
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
  132084 index entries processed.   
Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.   
0 unindexed files recovered.    
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
  93184 file SDs/SIDs processed.       
Cleaning up 335 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 335 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 335 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  19451 data files processed.      
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  35611872 USN bytes processed.       
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
  93168 files processed.            
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
  66121027 free clusters processed.        
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

297106775 KB total disk space.
  32370196 KB in 72805 files.
     48944 KB in 19452 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    203523 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 264484112 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  74276693 total allocation units on disk.
  66121028 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 6c 01 00 6d 68 01 00 0e b8 02 00 00 00 00 00  .l..mh..........
0b 01 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ....,...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users