Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It started as a fan replacement....sigh hp g60 125

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 belteck

belteck

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

I have a HP laptop g60-125 that needed a fan replaced. I took it apart noticing the ribbon cables held to the mobo with plastic clips. I carefully pryed them out and was able to finally get the fan. After I swapped the fan and put mobo back I could not for the life of me get the black plastic clips that hold on the touchpad and power button cables to the mobo. I turned on the laptop by pressing the power button ribbon cable into the socket just to make sure it would boot back up. The touchpad however would not work the same way. Im looking at two potential problems
1. I may have ruined the touchpad cable which isnt as big of a deal as number 2.
2. Those stupid little black plastic clips will not seem to hold the cable in place. Im wondering if by me prying them out I may have ruined them.

Kinda stuck at this point and not sure if I should find a dead Mobo and pray they have those clips in tact...

pics

what they normally look like
Posted Image
the touchpad ribbon cable
Posted Image
The connection that is stopping me
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

Those are called ZIF tape and reel type connectors, please be vary careful with these, they are one hell of pain to replace because the solder connections are SO CLOSE together, they are virtually impossible to get a soldering iron on without having solder bridges.

There are two types of those connectors, one type is with a flip lever, the other type has a clip that either pulls out slightly allowing the T&R flat ribbon wire to slip in and the clip is pushed back in to hold the ribbon in place.

The other is one where the clip comes completely out of the connector, the ribbon wire is inserted and the clip is placed on top of the ribbon wire and pressed into place.

If for any reason, you have broken the flip lever off of its hinges, you are in for one hell of a time replacing this connector and gluing it won't apply enough pressure to make the contacts mate properly.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

I came back to this thread to ask you exactly which connector in image number 3 you are having a problem with.

I see a white connector on the left and a black flip lever on right. Which one are you having a problem with?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

I came back to this thread to ask you exactly which connector in image number 3 you are having a problem with.

I see a white connector on the left and a black flip lever on right. Which one are you having a problem with?

Bruce.

Yes number 3 the center white one missing the black clip, is the touchpad ribbon cable connector that im having issues with. Now its either my ribbon cable is shot from disassembly
and or the fact that I cannot get a good secure connection anyone due to the clips are not staying in place anymore.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Okay I am looking at that image, although it's a small image, was the lock a flip up type or was there a plastic wedge that went into it?

Bruce.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

I found some information on your laptop

Here is a picture of your connector.

Attached File  123.jpg   37.54KB   10 downloads

Here is some information on the C60 laptop.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-motherboard-from-compaq-presario-cq50-cq60-cq70-laptop/

Does the connector above look like your broken connector?

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

Oh by the way when you visit the link above be sure to scroll down the page, the site is free and of course they have to plant some advertising links on the pages here and there, so please be sure to scroll down the page for the whole topic.

Bruce.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:58 AM

I use a flathead screw driver to lock and unlock those clips also you should always place the ribbon in properly as they can get loose.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

Okay I am looking at that image, although it's a small image, was the lock a flip up type or was there a plastic wedge that went into it?

Bruce.

Honestly ive been trying to figure that out for a few days now. Ive come to the conclusion that they are the flip up kind and I did not even realize they flip up. But it works and you sir are a god for that detailed info. I plan on putting a piece of tape on the connectors just in case.

#10 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

thanks again guys

Edited by belteck, 15 March 2011 - 01:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users