Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd drive not working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chopinsin

chopinsin

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

my cd drive suddenly stopped working. it does not read any cd (music or data) inserted in it. i have uninstalled the Nero software that was on it to no avail. can anything be done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

You can try deleting the upper & lower filters to see if that helps:
START - RUN - regedit
Navigate to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-clickLowerFilters, and then click Delete.
Exit regedit and reboot

#3 chopinsin

chopinsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

many thanks Allan for your help.

first of all I dont know what you mean by new hw, new sw. i have not had a virus or any error reports so far. the drive used to work well. i could play music cd's and burn discs and create mp3 music discs and all that. then one day nothing. you insert a disc and there is no reaction. sometimes if you click the disc drive in My Computer it hangs or it opens to show a blank.

i tried the UpperFilters and LowerFilters thing and still have the same problem.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,627 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

Sorry, I was asking if you installed any new hardware or software immediately before the problem appeared.

Let's see if the drive is working. Please do the following:

1) Go into bios and make sure the cd drive is the first device in the boot order
2) Insert a BOOTABLE disk in the drive (an original OS disk is perfect) and reboot. Does the system see the drive at boot?

#5 chopinsin

chopinsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

ok Paul...did as you instructed. and the system did not see the drive but when i had fully booted it saw the OS disk

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,627 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

Paul??

Well, that doesn't make much sense. If it is now working in Windows it certainly should have worked at boot. Are you sure the cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order? And is it a bootable disc?

#7 chopinsin

chopinsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

sorry about that Allan...yes the cd drive is the first in the bios boot order...and the cd is one that came with the laptop..it seems it is not a bootable disc...its called eurotools

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,627 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

It is probably not a bootable disc.

#9 chopinsin

chopinsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:47 AM

i have checked and it seems that i dont have a bootable disc...any ideas on what else i can do?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,627 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

Well, you can borrow one I guess.

#11 chopinsin

chopinsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

come on man..i live in a 3rd world country..if i could i would have without your telling me..

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,627 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

You know what? It was difficult for me to tell where you live from here. Maybe someone else here will be able to be to provide better assistance. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edited by Allan, 12 March 2011 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users