Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program icons and names have changed???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#1 gumprock

gumprock

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:27 AM

I turned on my computer to find that almost all of the Icons on my desktop have changed along with their names. For instance my (Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware) shortcut now has a windows media player icon and has been renamed (Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware.Ink). When I try to open the program nothing happens. I can still use the internet. I downloaded rkill and saved it to my desktop but the same thing happens, the icon is changed and I get a prompt saying: "To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manuallly select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do? Use the Web service to find the appropriate program or Select the program from a list " I then tried downloading rkill from a different computer to a disc, I then started the infected pc in safe mode and tried to run rkill from the disc. The same thing happened the icon looks totally different and I get the prompt that windows needs to know what program created it. Folders that I have created that contain pictures have not been changed. Folders that I have created containing music look to be unchanged but when I select a song to play I get a prompt that says: "This file does not have a program associated wtih it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." The only other thing that I have noticed so far is that when I was using the internet, scrolling up and down was very slow motion. I am using windows xp home edition and internet explorer. I would appreciate any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

Hello,is this XP,Vista Win 7 ??
What happens if as you save Rkill or MBAM etc to the desktop and you change the name to iexplore and Gumby before you save it? Will they run now?

Edited by boopme, 11 March 2011 - 11:22 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 gumprock

gumprock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

First of all I want to thank you for your response! I am using Windows XP Home edition. I tried saving Rkill and MBAM as suggested changing the name before saving to desktop. When I click on the icon I get a security warning that says: "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?" I selected run and then a small windows box opens that says: "To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do?" I did start off in safemode with networking. ......I read another post that you were assisting by user JH&A. My problem seems similar to that but I have not received any warning pop-ups. Should I disconnect this computer from the internet and use my laptop to correspond instead?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Give this a go.

Go here to Doug KNox's Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Run 9th down on left... EXE File Association Fix ... the EXE not EML one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 gumprock

gumprock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

I could not run the file from the site (one of the choices) so I downloaded the file. I double clicked the zipped folder (xp_exe_fix.zip) and then I see a file named(xp_exe_fix.reg)I double clicked that file and get a small window that says: "Windows cannot open this file: To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do? Use the Web service to find the appropriate program.. or ..Select the program from a list"

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

This should do it.
EXE Helper
Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com, and should open at the end of the scan)

Edited by boopme, 13 March 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#7 gumprock

gumprock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

I downloaded exehelper file to my desktop and double clicked it. I got a pop-up window with the name (open file - security warning) that says: "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?" The choices are run and cancel. I chose run. I then got another pop-up window with the name (windows)that says: "To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do? Use the web service to find the appropriate program or select the program from a list"

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Download FixPolicies.exe,by Bill Castner, MS-MVP to your Desktop.

Double-click FixPolicies.exe.
Click the Install button on the bottom toolbar. This will create a new folder called FixPolicies.
Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd.
A black box will briefly appear and then close.
The active malware may revert these changes at your next startup. You can safely run the utility again.

OR

?Click Start -> Settings -> Control panel.
?Click User Accounts and create a new account.
?Reboot your computer and login Windows using a previously created user account.

Use Inherit.exe to fix inappropriate permissions.
Use this fix, when you see a box that states “Windows cannot not access the specified device, path, or file. You may have inappropriate permissions to access the item”.

Download This File
Save it next to mbam.exe (this file is located in the Malwarebytes Anti-malware home folder). Once done, drag and drop mbam.exe into Inherit.exe. Click OK and attempt to run Malwarebytes Anti-malware once again.

Edited by boopme, 14 March 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#9 gumprock

gumprock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

I downloaded FixPolicies.exe to my desktop and received the same pop-up windows as previous:"The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?" The choices are run and cancel. I chose run. I then got another pop-up window with the name (windows)that says: "To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do? Use the web service to find the appropriate program or select the program from a list"

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

Can you verify that you have the Cryptographic Service started via Control Panel and Administrative Tools:

Provides four management services: Catalog Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files and allows new programs to be installed; Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this computer; Automatic Root Certificate Update Service, which retrieves root certificates from Windows Update and enable scenarios such as SSL; and Key Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this service is stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Is what that service does.

#11 gumprock

gumprock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

Administrative tools contains the following: Component Services.lnk , Computer Management.lnk , Data Sources (ODBC).lnk , Event Viewer.lnk , Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1 configuration.lnk , Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Wizards.lnk , Perfomance.lnk , and Services.lnk . They all have what looks like a windows media player icon.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Can you go to start then run and type in CMD hit enter

In the big black box type in the following "sc query state= all" >> c:\scquery.txt

Navigate to C: via My Computer and open the file called scquery.txt

In notepad go to Edit and select all then copy.

Paste the contents in a new post.

Stuff in the quotes is all one command.

#13 gumprock

gumprock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

I typed CMD in run and hit enter and got the following pop-up window: "To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do? Use the web service to find the appropriate program or select the program from a list"

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

Open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

. Then double-click on it to run..

#15 gumprock

gumprock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

I tried changing mbam.exe extension to various others. When I double click the file I get the same pop-up window as before: "To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do? Use the web service to find the appropriate program or select the program from a list"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users