Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking opinions about major security overhaul

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 okiewild

okiewild

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

After a recent hardware problem that took me to a new PC/repair&maintenance service here in town, I made several big changes. The tech told me my extremely slow boot (4.5 minutes) was probably due to Norton 360. He said all their customers have had problems with it. I've been advised to remove 360 several times in different forums. I haven't completely uninstalled it yet, but I turned off its antivirus feature. I have installed what the new tech recommended: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4. It's running a scan now and has detected 6 "infiltrations" as of 69 percent of the scan time. Another tech there had told me Spybot was good and so was MBAM. I already have MBAM so no change there. I took off Spybot because I got the impression the tech that recommended it was kind of lukewarm in his recommendation. I want to hear from someone else. No word from either of them about SuperAntiSpyware, which I've seen frequently recommended. Another reason I haven't yet completely yanked Norton 360 is that I turned off its firewall function, and switched over to the Microsoft firewall set at maximum, BUT I vaguely remember hearing somewhere there was an open source firewall better than the built-in Microsoft? My PC is running Windows XP Professional SP3 with lots of RAM and hard drive space. I look forward to hearing your viewpoints. This forum rocks.

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2011 - 09:04 AM.
Moved from XP forum to AV, Firewall, Privacy forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware are two programs that are regularly suggested in our Security forums.

If you would like to try something that is less proprietorial and a smaller footprint that Norton you might be interested in Avast anti virus, and Comodo firewall. These are free, and very effective. I'm currently running both of these.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hello okiewild......like you I used to use Norton. No more. i now use Avira Antivir....simply because it has the smallest footprint I could find. I combine this with Malwarebytes anti malware.....and find this is a good combination. I use the standard Windows/microsoft firewall,(i am also mindful that the modem.router plays a part here!), and have no problems at all. I am a little careful about where i go on the net of course.
Until recently i used Microsoft Security Essentials in combination with Malwarebytes, and that worked well also. I did notice a few little inconsistencies and
glitches in MSE however....and this was enough to convince me to look elsewhere. My son runs Alvira...so i did some research and it now protects my PC.
I was also attracted to Avast....quite good.
like yourself I am running XP SP3...lots of ram and a ton of HD space
And that is my 2 cents worth
Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

The Windows firewall is fine for most users, in terms of info provided and functionality, IMO.

Those of us who employ a 3d-party firewall...do so because of personal desires for more information, more control, or options that are not necessary/useful to the average user who simply wants to know that the system is protected.

I've used various 3d-party applications (NIS, Comodo firewall & AV, etc.) in the past...I now solely use the Windows firewall on both my XP and Win 7 installs.

Louis

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. You can always update the database definitions through the program's interface or manually download them from here. This gives you another tool to use in the event malware disables some of your other tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Lots of good suggestions and agreement of software solutions. Cool. Thank you!

#7 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Hello okiewild!!
I'm also a okie.Quiteman always has good recommendations and suggestions.He's a good man and always ready to help.
IMHO I would use a third party firewall with XP3. Windows firewall is fine for Windows 7 but it doesn't stop outgoing in XP3. Gibson Research Center recommends a third party firewall with XP3. Windows firewall in xp3 fails GRC's leak test.
I like the free version of Online Armor for a 3rd party firewall.
Nice to see a fellow Okie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users