Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 krishawn_2000

krishawn_2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

Please help!!
My video card an Nvidia Ge force 5200 stopped being recognized.. I think this was my fault when i as cleaning up some files and accidently deleted it. Then i compounded the error when trying to reinstall my video card and told my system to not use the video device.(my monitor i think)
Now when i boot up i get nothing for video. It works for boot up until windows actually starts then i lose video. I need to know how to get in and tell windows how to use the monitor again. I cannot boot into safe mode because it seems to have the same problem. I Tried to reinstall windows but that was no help either.

I know my hardware is working because i am using a different hard drive but the rest of the hardware is the same and having no issues.

any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:56 PM

If you know how to get into the Bios (usually "Press delete to enter setup" on the first screen) go in there and look for the "F" key to use to reset the Bios defaults.

Let us know if that works for you.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 krishawn_2000

krishawn_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:59 PM

Well i reinstalled windows again and this time it seems to have worked(somewhat) will update further when i get a chance.. will also try the bios settings thing if i can make no further progress. Thank you for the reply.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

Reset the BIOS to default (just to be sure) by removing the battery for about 2 minutes (easier than trying to find the jumper).

Mash on F8 as Windows first starts to load - this'll get you to the SafeMode screen. As I recall there was something in there about a VGA mode - try that.

Once you get in, go to Device Manager and uninstall the display adaptor (the GEForce 5200 card - not your monitor). You can do this by going to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Once in, find the little + sign next to Display Adapter and click on it to expose your GEForce 5200 card. Then right click on it and select "Uninstall". Answer Yes or OK to the questions to get out of the dialog (this won't wipe all your video - it'll just make the system rely on the generic VGA drivers) - then reboot the system.

Once the system reboots, the Add New Hardware wizard will start. Let it detect and install your card. Then, go to this link to download the latest XP drivers for the card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html

Double click on the downloaded file to install them and follow the prompts until done. Reboot one more time and you're finished!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users