Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to Internet but unable to browse

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Esco01

Esco01

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

Greetings all.

I have lurked around this forum for a while and never had a reason to create an account up to recently. Most of the time I've been able to search through the forums and find the advice I needed. Unfortunately this time I'm a bit stumped and I'm hoping my problem will be recognized quickly.

My daughters laptop currently shows connected to my network but she is unable to browse using IE. I've checked the settings with IE, checked if it has been changed to go through a proxy, but comparing her settings to my settings I see no difference at all. Checking network activity I can see packets being sent and received. I've done an IPCONFIG and it looks good as far as I can tell, no issues with IP or DNS. I've "pinged" google.com to see if her laptop can communicate outside our network and it worked fine, 4 packets sent and 4 received withing 17 ms. I've tried to disconnect and repair my network connection and it says it's working fine and I'm already connected to the internet. I downloaded Firefox on my computer and installed it on hers and had the exact same issue as IE, still unable to browse. I did a system restore (I know, I hate resorting to this) hoping she could regain access but no luck.

So, I've exhausted my limited knowledge and simply cannot come up with a resolution. I'm convinced that this is a computer setting issue as all the software and network settings seem to be fine. She does have Windows Vista and UAC is still on. No parental controls are set since there are no other user accounts and she is the administrator. I haven't checked my router settings yet but I'll probably check that next.

I am beat. I come to you on my knees hoping for assistance and hoping to have my honor restored in my little girls eyes. She still thinks I'm the best and that I know everything and I'd like to keep her fooled for a little while longer. :wink: Can anybody help me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

When you do an ipconfig /all what is the IP address?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

If it is a 192.xx.xx.xx ip address is ok if it begins with 169 then you have a problem. If ip address is ok it could be an mtu issue.

When you try to browse are you getting 404 not found, or webpages not finishing loading, or connection timed out or the server at www.something.com is taking too long to respond, as these could indicate an mtu issue with your daughters computer.

To resolve log in to router and make a note of mtu setting.

On the laptop in question use the runas administrator to open cmd prompt and type:

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces (this will show you the mtu setting for the laptop at the left hand side)

If the mtu setting is different from router setting it will need changing to match the setting on the router.

To do this type:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Name of the interface shown from show subinterfaces" mtu=xxxx store=persistent

Then re-start laptop to complete configuration change.

Edited by Darth sidious, 13 March 2011 - 11:06 AM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#4 Esco01

Esco01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

My apologies for abandoning this post, but during my absence I had been working on a few issues on my systems. One received a very nasty malware that took a while to clean and my other system had the power supply fried during a power surge. I've since taken care of my issues and have come back in trying to correct my daughters.

Answers to your questions:

IP: 192.168.1.107

MTU Router setting: 1500
MTU laptop setting: 1500

Again, everything appears to be fine. I've run the standard network diagnostics and my connection appears good. I try to run a repair and it says no issues. I try to connect to the internet via Vista help and it says I'm already connected. I'm truly at a lost at what to do and would appreciate any help. Now that I've resolved my own issues I can focus on my daughters laptop.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

Could be a problem with your dns server. Try typing 208.43.87.2 into the browser address bar and see if Bleepingcomputer.com comes up.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Esco01

Esco01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

Thank you very much for the reply Sneakycyber!

It comes back as "The address is not valid"

When I ping the address at the cmd prompt I get the following:
General failure
Reply ...: Destination host unreachable
Reply ...: Destination host unreachable
General failure

Ping statistics
4 sent, received 2, lost 2 (50%)

#7 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:28 AM

Hi Esco01,

Please try the following.

Open Command Prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and then press enter

After this please attempt to browse the internet.

If you are still unable to browse the internet open Command Prompt again then, issue the following command ping 8.8.8.8.

Please let me know if the above got a response from 8.8.8.8

-BrendanT
-BrendanT

#8 Esco01

Esco01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

Open Command Prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and then press enter

After this please attempt to browse the internet.

If you are still unable to browse the internet open Command Prompt again then, issue the following command ping 8.8.8.8.

Please let me know if the above got a response from 8.8.8.8

Thank you for the reply.

I was able to flushdns but I was unable to browse the Internet. I did ping the ip above and got the following:

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=51
General failure
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=51
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in ms:
Min = 39, max 56, Avg = 45

#9 Esco01

Esco01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

Does this forum work like the malware forum in that specific BC mods are assigned to posts, or is this a little less structured and informal? I'm not sure if I should be waiting for somebody to respond or if I should create a new post, so I'd appreciate any advice.

#10 Cornnut

Cornnut

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

Make sure only 1 of your NICs is in use which is probably your wireless nic. Disable the rest and then try. I kinda had this problem and found out that I had a couple of my NICs enabled at the same time and they were conflicting with each other. Turned 1 off and voila

#11 Esco01

Esco01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Make sure only 1 of your NICs is in use which is probably your wireless nic. Disable the rest and then try. I kinda had this problem and found out that I had a couple of my NICs enabled at the same time and they were conflicting with each other. Turned 1 off and voila

I'll give this a try. I appreciate the response, thank you.

#12 ers406w

ers406w

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'm having the same problem, tried every answer the group recommend with no luck. anymore suggestions ?

#13 HamishbNZ

HamishbNZ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

An NIC conflict is a good start, are you using 3rd party software to control the network config or is windows looking after it?
Just in case - go to start menu, click on run and type in services.msc, make sure "wireless zero configuration" service is started.

Oops, just read your previous post properly, you can ignore my last comment, I didn't see you had a working network.

Check your ipv4 settings on your wireless NIC, make sure you are using DHCP and auto DNS.
Check that your gateway address is correct (check ipconfig /all and match with what your router is set to in the router settings)
I am assuming you have other computers working fine on the same router?

Edited by HamishbNZ, 06 August 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#14 ers406w

ers406w

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

hello
I've tried all of the suggestions above to no avail, I've tried using a usb wi-fi card with no luck.\
I disable the onboard ethernet and try using the usb wi-fi the results are:
wireless network connection 3 status
connection
network: my network
duration: 00:15:02
speed: 11.0 mbps
signal strenght: llll

activity
sent: 12,274
received: 8,248
and after all this I get:problem loading page-Mozilla Firefox
unable to connect