Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dla Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kniht

Kniht

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

Am using the best backup program available called SyncBackSE http://www.2BrightSparks.com/. In order to backup to DVD, the DVD(s) need to be formatted UDF. I use "Veritas" DLA v3.59 to format my DVD(s). The program works great, backing up to DVD(s) is easy and fast. The only problem I have is when I bring my desktop out of standby mode, Windows has a greeting for me telling me it has detected a problem with DLA and must close (in Task Manager it is tfswctrl.exe). The only time this happens is coming out of standby. If I leave my workstation running full, this problem never occurs. It's not a huge problem, but I like using standby to save a few pennies on my electric bill. Some people call me cheap, but I consider myself as being rather "prudent". Besides, built many muscle cars in the late 60's - early 70's, and want my desktop to run like a fine tuned 428 Cobra! Any help on this seemingly miniscule problem will be greatly appreciated. My desktop is HP 533w, Intel Celeron CPU 2000MHz, ASUS motherboard, Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics controller v.6.14.10.4342. Yeah, I know, maybe I should upgrade to a better desktop, but that takes a little item they call MONEY! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:35 PM

Have you updated your video drivers recently? They have a large impact on Standby and Hibernation. Use the latest, WHQL certified version since the drivers are certified by Microsoft to work with Windows.

I have had one problem with SyncBackSE - and that was on one of the 3 systems that I use it on. It would prevent Windows from shutting down. The solution for that problem was simple - updated SyncBackSE to the latest version and it went away!

Unfortunately, I have no experience with DVD's or Veritas - so I don't have any stories about my problems with it! :thumbsup:

Good luck!

EDIT: I see from your other post that you updated your graphics drivers and had a problem. Did this occur while trying to fix the standby problem - or could it be the cause of the problem?

Edited by usasma, 22 December 2005 - 06:37 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Kniht

Kniht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

usasma--thanks for your reply. Sorry, I haven't been able to answer due to circumstances beyond my control. This problem with the DLA existed even before I updated the graphics drivers. The other day I was backing up to DVD and got a blue screen stating windows has detected a problem and shut down to protect my PC from damage - you know the typical blue screen message. It mentioned a faulty "tfswctrl.exe" which is the app. for DLA. One thing I have noticed, in Task Manager I can manually shut down each process except for "tfswctrl.exe". No matter what I do, this process will not shut down. I figured that might be a clue as to what the problem is. Blue screen also stated faulty module Kernel32.dll, fault address 0x00010f8b, event ID: 1000. I do have the latest version of SyncbackSE. Got any ideas as to the problem with this info?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:43 AM

Did you manage to capture the complete error message? It's usually saved in your Event Viewer.

A removal and reinstall of the HP software might also help to fix it
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Kniht

Kniht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:56 PM

Here's what I found in the event viewer:
Type: Error
Catagory: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Description: Faulting application tfswctrl.exe, version 3.50.18.2, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00010f8b.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software but same happens. Even tried a fresh download of DLA 3.59 from HP but same problem. HP has other DLA software but doesn't support my particular PC. I've contacted HP to find out if DLA 3.59 supports my PC, but, not to be disrespectful, talking to some of those folks at HP is like talking to Hank Kimble from "Green Acres"! Anyway, incompatability could be the problem. Ran computers in the Air Force 1970-74, so I think you can see why I am easily baffeled by today's technology!
Instead of backing up directly to DVD, decided to backup to a folder on the HD, then transfer to DVD using DVD burning software. Takes a bit longer this way, but avoids the blue screen, since I don't need the DLA for this. Would still like to solve the problem with the DLA. Hate it when something doesn't work right!

#6 Kniht

Kniht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:53 PM

usasma
Just read in another forum that HP states DLA will not work properly with SP2. Thats what I have SP2. The forum is hereGladiator Security Forums. Any ideas on how I can make DLA work with SP2?

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop. It has the same tfswctrl.exe name of file. It's been a dirty story for me. It might belong to Toshiba, but I can't find it on their site. It's made by SONIC, who do nothing more than send junk mail. Many weeks ago an upgrade notification came from Toshiba, to DLA v.4 and something 95, I recall exact version. No matter how many times I updated, it kept nagging to update. And there were faulty installations. I also uninstalled and allowed it back in. Computer wouldn't shut down because a user was in (!) ... weird errors. I eventually trashed the whole thing. I think DLA is a worm. Your HP might be suffering from the same thing. I think XP-Sp2 will write dvds without that DLA help.

Edited by tos226, 03 January 2006 - 05:30 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

The file belongs to packet writing software for CD's that's distributed by HP ( http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/tfswctrl/ ) and, I suspect that the software was actually written by Veritas (from the references to it while I searched the web).

I searched the HP site for references to DLA and for tfswctrl.exe. The majority of results were in Polish, but the one's I could read made no mention of this problem. And found no reference to SP2 problems, despite the one comment on that other forum.

Haven't had a chance to search out the Veritas site yet.

Probably the easiest way to fix this is to upgrade your version of the Veritas software (I found this on the 2BrightSparks site):
http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index.ph...dex_v2&id=69&c=

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

It seems that Veritas has been absorbed by Symantec - and that the CD/DVD recording stuff has been absorbed by Sonic.

The link that I gave in my previous post refers to Blue Screens with the older version of the software. I'd recommend tha tyou upgrade to version HP DLA 4.60 by clicking on this link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/...re/HPDLA460.exe

#10 Kniht

Kniht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

Have already tried DLA 4.60 and DLA 4.95 with the same results BSOD. 4.60 and 4.95 are compatible with notebook PCs (probably the reason my PC crashed using those versions). What I don't understand is why tfswctrl.exe (DLA) is the only process I cannot manually shut down using task manager. Select tfswctrl.exe, click "end process", and it just sits there staring defiantly back at me. I feel if I could figure out why it won't shut down, I could solve the problem. I've turned off the memory dump, but may enable it again, do what I did to make windows crash, and see wht I can pull out of the memory dump.
Thanks again for helping this ole' vet. :thumbsup:

#11 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:44 PM

Oh, yeah, it was DLA 4.95 Toshiba was pushing daily on me. Poison. I think the instllation process must have been faulty. But could be spyware or something, no?

I think it ran as a service, not sure.
I see it as a process in task manager in an old HJT log I had: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
It's definitely loaded at startup. You might be able to disable it there using whatever tools you have guts to use.
Could you just uninstall DLA using the standard Add/remove programs?

Usama/John, thank you for the information. It's helping me as well :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 03 January 2006 - 11:46 PM.

#12 Kniht

Kniht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:39 AM

tos226

Yeah, I can totally get rid of DLA through Add/Remove programs, but until I can afford a second HD, I need it to format DVDs in the UDF format in order to backup files directly to DVD. As I'm sure you know, a UDF formatted DVD acts like a HD. But, I'm not so sure after formatting DVD, if it is necessary to keep DLA running as a backgroung process in order to backup to DVD.??. Does anyone know if DLA must run as a background process to do backups? Tell ya what tos226, sure am glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble with DLA, not that I'm glad you're having trouble, but thought I was alone in this world, felt like the Maytag repairman! :thumbsup:

#13 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

Tell ya what tos226, sure am glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble with DLA, not that I'm glad you're having trouble, but thought I was alone in this world, felt like the Maytag repairman! :thumbsup:

I felt the same way when I saw your post
:inlove: :flowers: :trumpet:

I got rid of it too fast, but the upgrade nagging just got to me. I probably have a backup someplace.
I do have a hard drive which is why it wasn't important. But your point is really well taken.

In MY opinion, why should it run all the time in the background???? I'd think one should be able to run it WHEN NEEDED. A lot of these outfits put out junk with uninstallers in \temp directory or force everything to run all the time. I've seen in places people going to a good deal of trouble to remove these unneeded things from running all the time. But it requires care and knowledge. Knowledge is the key and research is time consuming, isn't it? Good luck, I'll be watching this one and if I find out anything solid, I'll post.

SONIC RECORD NOW! with that bang at the end, is the one of the two you need to keep. Or get HD, they're getting less and less expensive and bigger and bigger. Then Robocopy does the rest. Quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users