Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Dual Boot not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dualboot

dualboot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

When I try to boot into my dual boot set up choosing XP as the default I get the following message -
Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

I have Windows XP as primary boot on partition 1 and Windows 98 second choice on partition 0.
With XP I get the message above and have to hit any key on keyboard to reboot and then XP boots properly.
If I go down and choose Windows 98 no problem booting.
If I shut down computer or restart no problem booting XP but if I wait several hours the problem happens agan.
I have run chkdsk /r - did not help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Did this work before or are you attempting to set up a dual boot fresh? If you are trying to setup one now Windows 98 must be installed before Windows XP. Installing 98 second breaks the boot loader for XP.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

Well...it seems that Win 98 can be installed after XP, http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_98_after_windows_xp.htm , but I think it far simpler/better to install Win 98 first, as previously suggested.

Louis

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

You are both correct. You can install an older OS after a new one, but you then have to edit the bootloader.

Yes, it's always easier to install the oldest OS first and the newest last.

#5 dualboot

dualboot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hi,
This is Dualboot with the problem in this thread. I have an identical machine with Windows 98 and XP on it with the same installation scheme. It works fine. As I recall, I installed XP first and then 98. Could XP have some type of corruption in the OS program that sets the order of dual booting? Remember if I change the order inside XP and boot later in 98 it works fine. Switch back to XP as the default and I get the message again and have to hit any key to reboot successfully. I don't want to have to totally reinstall XP. I checked the boot.ini file and both machines are identical.

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,895 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

Quote dualboot---If I shut down computer or restart no problem booting XP but if I wait several hours the problem happens agan.

Could this be a problem with the CMOS battery?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Just guessing...

If it happens on both O/Ses...it could well be CMOS battery/PSU/battery related.

If it happens only on one install, it's probably a boot files issue, IMO.

Louis

Might as well include the hard drive and file system in my list of probable suspects :).

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

When installing Win98 to the same hard drive(even if it is on a different partition) it alters the MBR of the hard drive breaking the needed settings for XP. If win98 was installed on a seperate hard drive as a second OS then perhaps the dual boot might still work since the MBR of the XP drive was not altered and then you would only have to add the C:\windows to the boot.ini. However since you added it to a partition on the same drive as XP the MBR has been altered and can only be fixed by following the process layed out in the article posted by Hamluis.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users