Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Doesn't Automatically Boot Up With Rest Of System

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Whoamonga

Whoamonga

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

Hello! I have two computers that I turn on/off with a breaker switch.

When I turn the switch on, both computers power-up fine, however, one computer's monitor doesn't power up with that computer. I switched out the monitors and that the other monitor doesn't power up when attached to that computer either.

This leads me to believe that maybe I'm missing a startup program or something that tells that monitor to automatically power up with the rest of the computer.

Could anyone shine a light on the subject? I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

A couple of questions to help answer your problem?

Is the monitor plugged into the switch or the computer?

What operating system(s) are you running?

Are you shutting the computers down by going to start/shut down, or just turning the power off? If the later, this can be very hard on the computer.

#3 Whoamonga

Whoamonga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

The computers are part of a large museum, and several computers have to be shut down this way because there is poor access to them. So yes, they are just turned off with a power switch, not a start>shutdown.

Both computers run on Windows 2000 Professional. I noticed they are powered by two different outlets, but I don't think that should make a difference.

They both run on the same-type monitor also, so this leaves me a little baffled. I guess there's just some coding or startup program that tells the monitor to power up when Windows does. I have searched and come up with nothing! Thanks again for the help!!!!

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

The monitors should turn on when they have power and/or the on switch is pressed. You can turn the computer on and it will boot up fine even if the monitor is turned off, tho that is impractical for most uses.

Turning them on and off via turning the power off is really problematic.

Are they part of a display that makes them hard to access?

It would probably be better to leave the computer running and just turn the monitor off. If power costs are an issue they could be set to hibernate over night.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:52 PM

Some of the older monitors are like TV's - if you pull all power from them, you'll have to manually reset them. Could be that one has the feature and one doesn't (or it's broken).

There's tons of power saving options that don't cost a cent - and will be able to help automate the process of turning these things on and off at scheduled times.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Whoamonga

Whoamonga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, the computers are on display, surrounded by plastic and fiberglass, part of an exhibit...

For now, the computers are on the same breaker as the main lights in the room, and have to be turned off together with the lights. We are working on re-wiring the room so that the computers won't be shut down with the power like this...but for now, we have to go with what we've got.

The computers and monitors are the same exact models, and they were switched with each other to see if it was a bad monitor, but whichever monitor was plugged into the faulty computer, that's the one that wouldn't re-start.

We run Director MX on the machines, so I might find some code in that program that would boot up the monitor. Thanks again for all the help! and thanks in advance!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:10 PM

Hmmmm, that's strange! All I can suggest is checking the ACPI in the BIOS (to be sure it's enabled) along with other BIOS settings relating to the video, and to check the all of the power settings to make sure that everything is set identically (don't forget the screensaver, just in case!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Whoamonga

Whoamonga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:17 PM

I'll give it a whirl! Thanks!

#9 Whoamonga

Whoamonga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:56 AM

Okay, if i may ask for a continuation of help....

We've had the museum re-wired, and now we're able to leave the computers on all night, so it looks like hibernation's an option. My question is:

I need the computer and monitor to hibernate at a certain time of day on different days, instead of after a period of inactivity.

The computers are running Macromedia Director, and I've searched for any way to get Director's Lingo to make the system hibernate, and so far have come up with nothing. No lingo or xtras.

Does anyone know of a way to do this, either via Director or just the system? If anyone could just point me in a direction, i will search.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

#10 Whoamonga

Whoamonga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

Okay, i think I found my solution in a Director xtra called NirCmd. Thanks!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:43 AM

You can schedule Hibernation through Task Scheduler in Windows XP but can't recall the syntax right now (if you'd like me to research it - let me know).

Do you leave the monitors on all the time, or do they just show stuff when the keyboard is pressed? If the monitors are constantly showing something it may be difficult to have this happen on schedule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users