Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is causing these blue screens?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hello, everyone. I've been having a lot of trouble with my computer this past week because of blue screens during my gaming. I've been mostly playing SC2 and Heroes of Newerth, so crashing a bunch of times is not only annoying but it hurts my record as well. I just recently purchased an ATI Radeon HD 5670 along with an Athlon II x3 435 and G.Skill (2 x 2 GB) 4GB DDR2 RAM. I popped these into my system and it worked fine for the first day and suddenly I crash multiple times. They are completely random and the reasoning for the crash changes each time. Here are six minidumps:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kmr6drlq8lwdm8f

I've done the following things:

* Update my ATI drivers to 2.1
* Removed my old NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT drivers

I was having the same issues with my old memory and BSOD's, except I would crash when Windows started up. I thought that it had to do something with the timing (because it was 5-5-5-18) so I purchased new memory, but I'm still blue screening. I ran memtest86+ on my old memory and it didn't show any errors.

Perhaps maybe it's a PSU issue, as it's only 480W. Maybe my GPU is overheating? I'm honestly not too sure. Hopefully by looking at the minidumps, you guys can enlighten me with this nuisance of a problem. Thanks in advanced!

Attached Files

Edited by Ragtimesolo, 10 March 2011 - 07:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

Your dump files indicate your having issues with this driver. atikmdag.sys and ndis.sys

Here is some of the code.

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED -- BUGCHECK # 0x0000001e -- DRIVER ndis.sys -- CAUSED BY ADDRESS ndis.sys+2af4

Next one is.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA -- BUGCHECK # 0x00000050 -- DRIVER ntoskrnl.exe -- CAUSED BY ADDRESS ntoskrnl.exe+70740

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA -- BUGCHECK # 0x00000050 -- DRIVER atikmpag.sys -- CAUSED BY ADDRESS atikmpag.sys+f08e

Last one is:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL -- BUGCHECK # 0x0000000a -- DRIVER atikmdag.sys -- CAUSED BY ADDRESS
atikmdag.sys+e0737

This web site will help us locate the problem and find corrective action.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

I want to add, first make sure your system is not experiencing over heating issues.

Your PSU may not be providing enough AMPs to power up all hardware.

Try an earlier version of your drivers.

Drivers that crashed are related to ATI video processor driver. atikmpag.sys

NDIS.SYS is usually related to an Ethernet adapter or wireless Internet card.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 March 2011 - 08:14 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

Also I want to add if you would like to view and analyze those dump files yourself you can use Blue Screen View to do so.

Blue Screen View http://nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

It would be helpful to have the full specs of your system.
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button. Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot You will see the following prompt:

Posted Image

Click Yes , then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, right-click on any empty space in your reply box and click Paste.

You have just posted your specs!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

Here are my specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TGpXO63Jz9V0bkqn0oej4wr

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

480 WATTS PSU hmmm? here is a link to a review regarding your video card.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/ati-radeon-hd-5670-overview/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5670-overview.aspx

Download page

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.43&contentType=GPU+Download+Detail&ostype=Windows+7+-+64-Bit+Edition&keywords=&items=20

Please read this:

27116: ATIKMDAG has stopped responding error message

Corrected link: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 March 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

According to Speccy you are at Driver version: 8.821.0.0

The latest CCC version for your card in win7x64bit is 11.2. which you can download here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Start in safe mode and delete everything you can find ATI or Nvidia related from add/remove programs. Also be sure to uninstall the ATI driver in device manager if it is still there. Restart and install the drivers.
Mark Twain

#8 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

My PSU is 480W and with just my GPU (minimum of 400W) and my new processor (95W) adds up to 495W (and this doesn't include everything else in my rig). Could this be the culprit?

Edit:

According to Speccy you are at Driver version: 8.821.0.0

The latest CCC version for your card in win7x64bit is 11.2. which you can download here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Start in safe mode and delete everything you can find ATI or Nvidia related from add/remove programs. Also be sure to uninstall the ATI driver in device manager if it is still there. Restart and install the drivers.

I already ran that installation and it said that the drivers updated already. I think the 11.2 is different from the 8.821.0.0.

Edited by Ragtimesolo, 10 March 2011 - 10:39 PM.

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

It is possible that when you are in heavy gaming and the system is at 90-100% load that you are stressing the power supply. I run a 650 watt supply in mine with a HD 4870 and a Phenom II X4 with no issues at all. The BSOD are showing mostly errors with an ATI file or a network related file. Are all of your drivers up to date? When I see something like that I think driver conflict.....
Mark Twain

#10 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

The Windows Install Manager doesn't work while in Safe Mode so I wasn't able to remove the ATI drivers. Should I remove them with the normal Windows boot-up or no?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:06 AM

My PSU is 480W and with just my GPU (minimum of 400W) and my new processor (95W) adds up to 495W (and this doesn't include everything else in my rig). Could this be the culprit?

Sounds to me like you presented yourself with a possible and probable solution. :thumbup2:

I would look into a PSU upgrade.

Bruce.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

This new power supply should and also try to update ALL of your drivers.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

Well, I just crashed again. Here's the minidump:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nmwnhad15cn2j6y

I followed all the instructions listed above. I deleted everything ATI and NVIDIA-related and re-installed the drivers. I even updated all of the old drivers that I had, but to no avail. By looking at the minidump, could it be the PSU?

EDIT: I haven't gotten any errors with the ATI.sys as of yet, only the "ntskrnl.exe" file. I get the following error codes:

• 0x0a
  • 0x50
  • 0x1e

The past 4 crashes have been caused by the ntskrnl.exe.

Edited by Ragtimesolo, 11 March 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#14 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:56 AM

BUMP. The blue screens keep persisting.

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

Have tried updating ALL of your drivers which usually solves that bsod problem.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users